Windows ME

Psssst! (whisper)

Your clock is wrong. ;-)

Reply to
David B.

I installed a 10 gig harddrive, with Windows ME on it, that hadn't been used in years and found it contains *LOTS OF GAMES*, so i've been playing old games all evening.

Clydes Adventure is a great game, difficult, but great. Has anyone even heard of it? I bought it way back in the late 80's as I recall. Then theres Cosmo, Duke Nukem, Descent, Catacomb Abyss, Wolf 3D, and

*Lots More*.

Windows ME was a pretty good operating system.

I'm using Dosbox to make everything run with sound.

There's two programs called PCUSA and PCGLOBE that were two of the first programs I ever bought that work great in Dosbox, but not in Windows, or even dos anymore. I guess it's because of the newer CPU archeticture.

This harddrive was going to be formated and used for other things, but now I'm going to keep it. I ordered a new maxtor 250gig harddrive today from Ebay, for $20.00 w/ free shipping. I remember when those were $300.00.

I also found an old external Western Digital harddrive, 1.6 gigs. It had to be formated. All the games are backed up to it now.

Windows ME coundn't install the drivers for the onboard network card in this modern computer, so I had to dig out the old Netgear wireless cards, that only use WEP. The drivers were already installed. My new router doesn't even do WEP, so I had to make a hidden SSID, with no security, to get network running. With the hidden SSID no one should be able to even know it's there, I hope.

Time to hit the hay. Five o'clock comes early.

Reply to
Windows ME

In my life five o'clock is time to start dinner.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It defaulted to Grenwich time.

My time zone is GMT -06:00 Central time (US & Canada)

Reply to
Windows ME

You're so witty, it makes you a top class pussy boi buford.

Reply to
Windows ME

It was 05:00 and that's time to get a couple of burritos from the burrito store. If it wasn't for the Chinese and Mexicans I'd be mighty hungry.

Reply to
Windows ME

ME was not one of Microsoft's great operating systems but if your favorite games work in it, then who cares.

The only game I play is the old win3x version of Tetris.

I run it under WINE in Linux from time to time.

I have a friend who's an avid gamer who always has to have the latest and greatest games and some very expensive hardware.

One day I decided to have a look at one of his fancy games only to find out they were little more than those old dos games other than fancy graphics and sound. IMHO: a total waste.

As far as hard drives go, I recently bought a 3TB external for under $100....I recall when an 850 meg drive was twice that much or more,

Reply to
philo

Now I've got the Iomega 100 working. BIG storage.

Reply to
Windows ME

External driven by the parallel port or internal on the hard drive buss?

Reply to
rbowman

parallel port

I had an IDE but it crashed and burned.

Reply to
Windows ME

When I get my new harddrive I'll install win2000. I liked it better than XP.

These games don't run well in XP, even with dosbox.

Dosbox on Linux has problems.

Reply to
Windows ME

I've got a parallel port around here someplace. The last time I tried to use the IDE it sounded like the head was trying to seek to the outer ring of Jupiter. That was another one of those 'How will I ever use 100 MB' steps on the path from 90 KB floppies to multi terabyte platters.

Reply to
rbowman

I've got a Win 2000 box at work but I powered it down a couple of years ago. There was just too much stuff I couldn't install without looking in the way back machine for old binaries. It certainly was better than NT.

Reply to
rbowman

yay! Do you have any of the wolf3d patches? Barney the purple dinosaur, naked chicks on the walls, weapons conversion? etc?

Depends on your POV. :)

Rockin! Hey, if you're interested, I wrote a saved game editor for Duke Nukem. It supports episodes 1 thru 3. You're welcome to a copy of it if you'd like. The exe is 5.2kilobytes in size. The entire zip is 7.6kilobytes in size.

I wrote one for Commander Keen v4 Goodbye Galaxy around the same time, and, secret agent. You just copy the DNHACK.EXE file into the same folder as you've got Duke Nukem, and run it. It's self explanatory. It'll ask for the episode, choose it. Then, it'll ask for the saved game (1-9) and you'll be presented with the options of things you can change. You can give yourself near unlimited health, the claw, the boots, mod your firepower, change the last level you completed, even change your score. All upto you.

DNHACK is not for the 3d version of Duke, so, if that's what you have, this won't work. I wrote them back in 1997...Yea, I know.. but, I was really bored at the time, too.

Since the drive is so old, I'd suggest you backup the stuff you want to keep onto a cdr/dvdr, usb stick, and/or newer hard disk. Bit rott is a real thing.

I'd suggest you back those games up on other media for the above stated reason. Those drives are very old.

Umm...

Doesn't it though.

Reply to
Diesel

Yay! No click of death on any of your zipdiscs, right? Back those up on other media too, if you want to save it.

Reply to
Diesel

*cough* Windows 2000 is NT. [g] A later edition.
Reply to
Diesel

And 10 is 8 is 7 is Vista is XP is 2000. Your point? NT 4.0 was the last version to call itself NT although iirc, XP said something about being built on NT technology. 8.1 was the NT 6.3 kernel. 10 went to a 10 major number for its kernel after confusing people for 20 years.

I was very familiar with the BSOD on NT 4.0, not so much on NT 5.0.

Reply to
rbowman

I am guessing that his point is that from NT 3.1 onwards, the processor memory access method of 16-bit unprotected 'real' DOS mode is *never* used.

This closed a multitude of possibilities for rogue applications to render the PC inoperable.

Yes. Nowadays it is almost always due to a poorly-written driver or a hardware problem. The system is much more robust against poorly-written applications.

Reply to
Mike Duffy

Thanks, but I'm already just about burned out on these old games.

Reply to
Windows ME

Erm.. Not sure what you mean by that. I was simply responding to your original comment. It appeared as if you thought you went with something better than NT. When you never actually left NT...

Reply to
Diesel