Best Rated threads in Home Repairshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Blueboard
I was watching Ask This Old House today on PBS and one segment had Tom Silva demonstrating repairing a hole in a wall using blueboard and veneer plaster. One particular wall problem in my old house...
9
9

12 volt DC thermostat
I have a motorhome that uses a 12VDC thermostat to control the AC/Heatpump and the propane gas furnace. The thermostat is a real piece of juink. It overshoots, undershoots and generally is not very...
3
3

sprinkler system zone failure
I have a sprinkler system with three zones, I just replaced the valve for Zone1 as it had cracked, and all three zones worked for about a week and now when the controller reaches zone3 the heads don't...
2
2

Room Air Conditioner Odors
What might cause a room air conditioner to put off a fishy odor? My room air conditioner (large room) has always been filtered properly, seems to have adequate draining to the outside and otherwise...
7
7

prepping for floating floor
I have read a number of posts regarding self-levelling a floating floor. In my case, I am working in a slightly below ground apartment suite that has a concrete floor. The room I am working in dips 3...
3
3

security doors
I'm interesting in acquiring a security door for the front door of my home. At Home Depot, the best doors they have are those of you with experience with what security doors to buy and not buy, what...
4
4

Buy or rent a pressure washer?
The daily rental for a 3000 psi pressure washer is $ 65. It has a gasoline engine. A new pressure washer from Harbor Freight costs $ 89. It is a 2 hp electric unit and puts out 1,300 psi at 1.7 GPM. I...
21
21

Sears garage Door Opener troubleshooting
My 20 year old Sears Craftsman 1/3 HP "single" garage door opener has suddenly become intermittent. Sometimes the door goes up fine when activated by either the remote or the wall button, sometimes it...
4
4

Cast iron waste pipe in foundation rusted out - need repair options
The cast iron waste pipe from the kitchen sink has rusted out in the foundation. The only option I have been given is to jackhammer the foundation open and replace the pipe. This includes replacing...
2
2

Kitchen counter height
36 inches is the standard height, although in some areas 42 inch high counters are being installed. The issue is that 36 inches is designed for the 'standard' American male/female at 5 feet 8 to 5...
25
25

Lawn Mower Overflow
Hi My gas lawn mower was working fine till last week. I found that it was short of oil, so I added some and was mowed for another couple opf weeks. This week, when I tried to turn it on, there was oil...
5
5

Double pocket door kit for single width opening?
I've got a closet door opening in my office that I would like to install a pocket door in. I can't relocate the opening because of our wood floors, and there isn't enough space to either side for a...
3
3

Stainless Steel Sinks
Does anyone know of a company that will do a stainless steel double sink with a low divider profile like the Kohler brand. Kohler just came out with a sink like that and I love it, but it is not...
4
4

Synthetic Stucco - Dryvit - Repair - How
I bought my home a little over 7 years ago and it is sheathed with a Dryvit type synthetic stucco material. This was all before the horror stories of moisture getting behind the stuff and rotting...

Oil base vs water base
I am an artist. I do wall murals and paint almost anything on almost anything. I use ALL mediums of paint and I can tell you that you never put water-base over oil-base...just the opposite. Save the...
16
16

Strange noise coming from furnace after AC has shut off. Normal?
I just moved into a new place and it's the first I've ever had central air. The furnace is a Heil single stage unit. When the AC has been running and turns off, either manually or automatically by the...
9
9

Water in the basement
Not really a lot of water, but when it rains I get a trickle. 50 year house, did all the things in order to stop it, but it still comes in. Rerouted downspouts, lots of soil to keep the water away...
9
9

replacing a 1/2 hp control box
Hello, I've learned a lot from this list & hope someone can help. Problem: Today (Sunday of course), the control box burned out. This happened 6 years ago and I called a plumber to replace. Now I'm...
2
2

HELP. Mice invasion
I have pets in the house so I am scared to put out any posion. My dogs will catch them, so I am worried they might be posioned as well. How do I get rid of them, they are eating my house up. I use the...
32
32

Door out of square since I leveled house...
I finally looked under that bottom piece of siding, on the rear corner of my house which is on a slab. (used to be a carport, they made it a room.) The sill plate and corner post had old dryed rot and...
1
1