Best Rated threads in Home Repairshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Sizing retrofit basement Window
I am trying to get the correct size for a basement window to be ordered from Home Depot. The existing aluminum (skinning frame) window appears to be installed wedged between two steel tube frames. the...
3
3

Replacing gas line to gas light
A technitian from our gas company told me that gas pipe line to a gas light in our garden is leaking and needs be repaired. I dugged up lawn to expose the entire line of 100 feets and found multiple...
29
29

Foam vs Batt insulation when MOLD present
Due to (black) water contamination, and ensuing environmental conditions, my house developed an extensive problem of toxic mold growth. We finally gutted the place - tore out all the flooring,...
5
5

R22 or 410? New lineset?
I'm going to upgrade my AC, probably to a 13 or 14 SEER. Is is best to just stick with the R22 in this case? When will R22 become more expensive than R410? From what I understand the units are similar...
20
20

Low pressure in kitchen faucet
The other day i heard a thud coming from the kitchen faucet. Since then, the cold and hot water pressure is low. I checked the water lines and they aren't kinked. The valves underneath the sink are...

Remove Stucco
I need to remove all stucco from the exterior of my house to put on wood siding. I would like to cut the stucco just below the soffit line, so that I do not have to redo all of the soffits. What is...
5
5

Condensation inside double-paned windows - replace glass or whole window?
We're new homeowners. We have a house with ten double hung windows with double panes. They're by Thermal-Guard. They look old, but I don't really know their age. Each window has at least one sash with...
7
7

small engine - hydraulic lock?
Stihl string trimmer, 2-cycle. It's been fading, and hard to start when hot. I thought I'd check the compression when hot. (It was 50-ish). Then, I thought I'd squirt some oil in the cylinder, and see...
4
4

Getting fiberglass shower upstairs
I would like to get a fiberglass shower.. but I have a tight staircase to get it up.. Would love a one piece unit.. but there is no way I am going to get it up the stairs. Any good recomendations for...
4
4

Chlorine/Salt Generator for Pools
I've heard about these things I can use to eliminate the need for me to chlorinate my pool. I was recommended this unit, though I'm sure there is more out there... anyone used these things and had any...
8
8

Opening up the pool and need help!
I just bought a new house that has a large above ground oval pool in the back. During the winter it was covered, no other winterization techniques were applied. I used a sharp vac to suck the excess...
9
9

Persistent roof leak
The briefest version of the problem is this: We've had damp wallboard in the bathroom (part of the master bedroom addition) since we bought the house two years ago. The guy we bought the house from...
10
10

Honeywell VisionPro TH811OU Problems
Wanting to know if anyone had some ideas about this strange problem...... I installed this Thermostat this past October, and everything worked fine during the heating season. As we hit the cooling...
10
10

Source for gas can spouts & caps needed...
Does anyone have a source for replacement Rubbermaid/Gott 5 gallon poly gas can spouts(and caps), and for replacement Chilton(P500) 5 gallon poly gas can spouts? I used to be able to get the "spout...

Broken showerhead wall pipe
My wife started to remove the showerhead pipe that goes to the wall and when she started to turn the pipe it broke leaving part of the pipe still in the wall and now I cant seem to find a way to...
7
7

Hot water recirculation pump?
anyone installed one of those? Any good and reliable?
12
12

Baxi Bemuda 552 Thermocouple replaced but still no Pilot Light!
I have a Baxi Bemuda 552 which is about as old as Noah's Ark itself. A couple of months ago the pilot light went out for no reason. Relit it again and it stayed on with no problems until last week...

Auto AC, R12 - R134a
A friend has been filling R12 systems on cars with R134a and says there is no need to evacuate out R12, he has done it for years on many cars. Is he lucky to not of had his friends cars damaged or can...
6
6

Tips for pigtailing / wirenutting outlets with 12AWG wire
Howdy all. Since I will be pigtailing in about 20 outlets and I know 12AWG can be kind of stiff to work with, I thought I would ask if anyone here has any tips to make the job easier ? I have already...
45
45

Cold Air Return placement
Hi, During the summer months, the second story of my house is significantly hotter than the lower levels. The house is filled with vaulted ceilings throughout, and there is no attic. We had air...
4
4