Best Rated threads in Home Repairshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Lady Bugs
There are a Lady Bugs all over the house for what reason this fall I do not know, is there a way to get rid of them? Thanks Tom
9
9

pool wiring problem
My friend has an inground swimming pool. The filter and pump are located about 15 feet from the pool and are in a little (3 sided + roof) encloser. There is an electrical panel there that has two 240...
12
12

Drilling hole: Avoid AC wiring
Hi, I need to drill a hole (0.5" dia) thru my 6" thick wall (i believe its called dry wall). I have a B&D power screw-driver/drill, and yesterday I also purchased a long 0.5" dia drill. I intend to...
4
4

No corner walls are at 90 degrees (right angle) in the house
Almost every corner walls in the house are a little larger than 90 degrees. Not much of a problem until you lay tile or butt a bathroom vanity against a corner or install base and crown moldings. Even...
5
5

Dirty Jobs. Pigeons
A Dirty Jobs episode with Mike Rowe featured guys cleaning pigeon droppings. They were on apartment buildings and hospitals. Pigeons and their bugs can cause over 60 diseases in humans. The crew...

Can Tide pods damage a washing machine drain pump?
You are probably right,it probably IS just a massive coincidence
34
34

Broan allure range hood
This is a common problem with that model, which we have. Every few years one of the lights craps out as yours did. We take the thing apart and re-seat the socket and its connections. This also gives...
2
2

Electrician drill hole in support beam
Hi, I am worried. I had an electrician do some wiring and he drilled a hole in my support beam vertically. I proved the picture of the size of beam. Should I be worried and what should I do.
2
2

cubcadet rt 65 tiller
Tiller runs and starts ok but when I push choke in it loses power and backfires
4
4

Brass garden hose nozzles and brass on/off switches (and missing o-rings)
Saw these while at Harbor Freight today looking for fence equipment: Only $3 for an all-brass garden hose nozzle seemed too good to pass up: I had just bought earlier this week these $7 ACE brass...
61
61

Quick temporary repair for hole in wall
To repair the plumbing for the kitchen sink, it was necessary to break the wall under the kitchen sink to get at the plumbing. The hole is about 7 or 8 inches in diameter. Until I can have the hole...
25
25

Water and sand flowing into perimeter drain, bad?
I've been reading other posts regarding perimeter drains trying to figure out what I should do. My house is under a year old and still under the builders warranty. The house is built on a slight...
4
4

Harmonic resonance shower
I was cleaning one of my vacation rentals. I turned on the MOEN shower water control. In the middle range, where the warm water would be, there came a pulsing sound that sounded very regular and...
3
3

installing cedar trim on shed
I am putting up some trim on shed project. this is 1x4 cedar. just wondering if regular hot-dip galvanized nails ok for this purpose?
9
9

Washing MAchine trips breaker
------------------------------------- My washing machine fills with water then it humms for a few secounds then thetrips the breaker. What is causeing this?...
8
8

Attaching deck ledger to concrete foundation wall
I am building a PT deck attached to my house and have a question about attaching the deck ledger board. Most everything I have read talks about connecting it to wood, not concrete. Here's what I...
12
12

Technique for mortoring in one brick?
I have a chimney with one double brick missing. I have the replacment brick, but am wondering about the best technique to mortor it in place. I assume I would 'butter' the bottom of the hole...
5
5

#6 or #4 wire in 3/4 inch thinwall?
I need to add a sub-panel about 40 feet away from my main panel. The previous owner left an empty 3/4 inch run of conduit in case anyone wanted to add a sub-panel to the other side of the house (for...
11
11

What should I do when nail in shingle hits sheathing's crack?
I am applying three tab Owens corning as to their nailing instructions with a hammer by placing the nail below the seal strip and above the split that forms the tabs. What should I do if my nail hits...
5
5

Need advice about gravel driveway
I built a garage/workshop toward the back of my lot, about 150 feet from the house. It is 28' X 24', and I keep my pickup in there as well as it being a shop. I had a gravel driveway put in...
9
9