Best Rated threads in Home Repairshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

swamp cooler... ceiling vents..
in arizona... 35 year old home... we removed the swamp cooler recently... now when the wind blows the ceiling vents bang loudly... is there anything we can do to fix this issue..
1
1

Broken FM Xmitter?
About 14 months ago, I bought something that looked like any of the links below. It worked great, to let me listen to computer audio (such as web-radio) anywhere in the house or even on the car radio....
6
6

Product recommendations for a few concrete patch jobs
Hi guys, I have a few problems with cracks in various places in an around my house, you can view pics here:   1. A crack (or two) in the concrete slab holding up my mailbox: There are cracks in this...

Magnet for miniblind on steel door
I am installing a full view steel door soon, waiting for warmer temp. I bought full view aluminum mini blinds but do not want to drill into the steel door. I eyeballed some magnets on Amz but looking...
10
10

how much weight will two layers of 3/4" plywood hold?
I have two groups of 3, 2x8's and one group of 5, 2x8's. I am running the groups of 3 for the sides and the group of 5 down the middle. Each group is 7' long and am planning on 4' wide. Do I need two...
22
22

Minor Mystery
We had a power outage here last Friday that lasted about 19 hours. (It was caused by a wind storm blowing a large tree into power lines a few blocks away). I happen to have four 100 Ah LiFePO4 12v...
25
25

Does your car meet our standards
Taking a clue from this apartment complex, it is time to put some standards for people posting here. They must have a nice looking car. Montana Valley Apartments manager noted that the complex doesn?t...
133
133

Building a 12x12 gazebo: canopy?
Hi, I'm planning to stick-built a simple 12ftx12ft gazebo this spring. 4"x4" (treated) vertical posts on the corners, 2x4 or 2x6 framing for the horizontals, 2x4s for a simple hip roof without solid...
12
12

discontinued Armstrong ceiling tile #255
In need of about 25 of these tiles due to water damage.
2
2

Garage floods when it rains
Everytime it rains, water trickles from 3 distinct areas in the garage and congregates to the right in a massive puddle (takes up to 9 buckets to get rid of the water). Any Ideas? I can't attach any...
4
4

Pipeline welder salary $250,000/year
I saw an interview with an oil pipeline guy. The welders can make $250 thousand per year. Pay seems to start at $20/hour and goes up to $50/hour for other guys on the crews.
9
9

Excessive voltage drop at outlet cause induction cooktop to not work
I have an outlet with excessive voltage drop when I plug in an induction cooktop (1000 watt). The outlet measures 120 but the voltage drops to 105 when the cooktop is plugged in. The cooktop stops...
9
9

Ko-z-Aire furnace
I have a furnace from 1958 Ko-z -Aire. Trying to find some information in regard to is there any asbestos of any kind inside of the furnace? Cannot find too much information or even who owns the...
8
8

Do I need a sewer vent pipe for an additional new bathroom?
Hello all, I am planning to add a bathroom to a bedroom. The new one will be about 20 ft or so away from the existing one. I am in San Jose CA. Would I need a vent pipe for this new bathroom? Thanks!...
6
6

oil spill on concrete, how to remove?
Had a recent motor oil quart slowly leek onto a ribbed concrete surface. Not all of it leaked, but it left a slick about 2 feet in diameter. I have tried to clean it up with materials I had on hand,...
5
5

Heat pumps?
I was watching the Dirty Jobs show with Mike Rowe the other day. He was helping well drillers sink wells for a heat pump system for something like an old folks home. It occurred to me that I haven't...
29
29

Magic Chef control panel not working
Hi there, I unplugged the stove to get behind it. I plugged it back in and then the control panel stopped working. The burners work, just not the panel. Any ideas? I think it might be the panel...
1
1

daisy chain extension cords
In article Theodore wrote: Theodore- Try it and see. Do you have a voltmeter? I would hope for at least 108 VAC, which is 120 V minus ten percent. It would help if you could crank the generator to ten...
26
26

NIMA 14-50
Can a NIMA 14-50 receptacle be wired up with #10 wire ? What if you doubled up each wire ? Would that meet code ? what if you found one wired up that way ? Any help appreciated. Thanks
54
54

Replacing LEDs in strip lights
On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 17:48:47 +0100, "Commander Kinsey" > wrote: By-the-foot LED tape lighting is available - but probably more trouble than it's worth - to try to hack-install it into a fixture. John...
6
6