Best Rated threads in Home Repairshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Wiring colours in Switzerland
I am just wiring my ceiling lights in my new home in Switzerland but noticed that they appear to be wired at random. I know that on most simple lights you can connect live-neutral & neutral-live but I...
2
2

Cellulose around heat ducts
If I blow cellulose into the ceiling of my basement (where the ducts run) will there be a dust problem when the furnace is running? The ducts are all metal, uninsulated, I cannot see if the outside...
5
5

Cutting old, delicate cast iron waste pipe
We need to tap into the waste pipe close to where it exits our basement in order to get enough elevation to reach a basement sink we are installing. However, when we had the plumber come in, he...
14
14

OK to use UF cable under deck?
Hi, We're just putting the finishing touches on a new deck. I'd like to add an outlet or two (one for the grill rotissiere, maybe one for general use in the 'seating area') and was...
1
1

New Light Fixture / Old wiring
I purchased a energy efficient ceiling fixture to replace a kitchen light. (It is not recessed). The directions warn that it should not be connected to house wire not capable of withstanding x degrees...
6
6

removing keyless chuck
Hi everyone. I am trying to remove the keyless chuck from my 19.2 volt craftsman cordless drill. I have followed the directions in the manual, which said to insert a 5/16 inch or larger hex key (I...
10
10

Backyard faucet replacement
I have a cold water faucet in the backyard, the problem is when it is on the water drips and sprays out of the knob. I'm assuming that the whole faucet needs to be replaced. The pipe coming out of the...
6
6

Meaning Of 150 amp Service: At 115 V, Or At 220 V ?
Hello: When they say a house has, e.g., 150 amp service, is that 150 amps at 115 V, or 150 amps at 220 V ? Thanks, Bob
23
23

How to tell the difference between RG-59, RG-59U or RG-6?
How do you tell if a cable is RG-59, RG-59U or RG-6? If there an harm if these cables are used together? In other words, if the able from the outside to the outlet is RG-6 and from the outlet to the...
16
16

Cooktop glass cracked
I have a black glass cooktop by Dacor. I dropped a jar on the corner of it and made a small crack in the glass at one of the edges. It is not near any of the cooking elements. Can this be patched up ?...
1
1

Washer on weak floor - advice needed
Hello all, I have a 2nd floor laundry room, and a front-loading washer. In an unfortunate bit of engineering, my laundry room was placed over my garage (a 20+ foot span of floor with no support...
8
8

Breaking a soldered joint
Has anyone heard of someone rupturing a soldered copper pipe joint by deflecting the pipe (e.g. to clear an interference)? Just curious.
27
27

Insulate attic before/after new roof.
I recently bought a bank-owned, 3 BR, 1 bath semi-detached home that I am going to be renting out. In my area, a "semi-detached home" means there are two homes side by side, which share a common wall...
12
12

A weird sound from Xmas tree lights
I put up my Christmas tree yesterday, with two strings of lights, each string plugged into a separate socket on the same receptacle. About three hours after turning the lights on, I noticed a low...

Tank to Bowl rubber washers--->> use sealant??
Sould you use sealant over the rubber washers inside the tank?? The instructions do not mention anything, however after one week, I have a slight leak at one bolt and do not crack the tank by...
4
4

Curtain design for gable window.
I have a window in the gable of my home like some log cabins have. Does anyone have design ideas for hanging curtains and shading for the glass?
4
4