Wiring colours in Switzerland

I am just wiring my ceiling lights in my new home in Switzerland but noticed that they appear to be wired at random. I know that on most simple lights you can connect live-neutral & neutral-live but I would like the wiring to match up properly as I may add smart devices in the future.

I have the standard brown, blue, yellow/green on the lights themselves but on the ceiling the colours are purple, yellow, yellow/green.

Does anybody know where the yellow and purple wires should go? I guess I can safely assume that green/yellow is earth but would like them wired correctly.

Reply to
Flintstone

Neutral is a US (north America) only thing, with the 110v usage. Europe is all 220v.

-- Silly sig to prevent isp ad

Reply to
John Hines

Not quite accurate...

In many if not all countries that use 220 volts, one side of that 220 volts is at ground potential and is considered a neutral wire. The other side is the "HOT" wire with a nominal value of 220 Volts to ground.

There can also be an optional safety grounding conductor, usually called the "Earth" connection in the Euro lingo.

Some 220V countries use polarized receptacles just like the US to keep continuity with the (hot and neutral wires) and some countries do not.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber