Odd wiring colours

My fan heater packed up, so I checked the plug fuse. It was ok, but the power cord has two wires, a green insulated one to neutral and a white insulated one to live. Double insulated so no earth.

Where is that used? I guess the heater was from Lidl being branded 'Silvercrest'.

BTW, it's working again now - sticky tilt switch.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Nowhere that I know of, but rules are ignored in many far-flung places. The one thing it establishes is that the heater does not comply with UK safety rules. If it were mine I'd be taking a much closer look.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I wish they had some kind of tactile way to identify wires. Not just for us blind people but in very hard to reach places it would make identification much easier by feel. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Not sure Lidl were selling in the UK before the standard flex colours came in.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

White is used for the live side in US mains cables.

And red is used for earth in Japanese cables. I kid you not.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Nah, black is live, white is neutral IIRC.

Well, in nature green things are generally alive, and earth is usually brown. I suppose grey is fairly neutral.

Anyway, the cable in question has all the right markings and seems to be good quality.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

It used to be in Germany, too - beofre harmonisation.

Reply to
charles

Indeed - think 'black death' and white is a neutral colour. Green is grass - which grows on the ground.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

But it is very easy to differentiate by feel.

110V and up isn't a problem.

50-100V would need Ones pinkies dipped in salt solution.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Its probably safer not to. Do dymo do embossed labels you can read?

dennis

Dymo don't, but another manufacturer does

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Heh! :)

Reply to
Pamela

You sure about that? I thought US domestic supplies where 110 V biphase. ie 110 - 0 - 110. Normal appliances where connected between

0 and one of the phases. Big loads like washers connected between the phases and ran off 220 V and thus half the current for the same power @ 110 V.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Where? The USA's common system is 120V-0-120V with phase-phase being used for high load devices.

You're not confusing this with "yellow" building site transformers and tools are you?

Reply to
Tim Watts

He'd already owned up to the mistake nine hours berfore your post!

Reply to
Terry Casey

I reckon the colours should be blue for live "electric blue", magnolia for neutral (because it is) & brown for earth (because it is).

Reply to
TMH

No the Earth is a blueish colour from space :-D

Anyway I think we should convert to Red white and Blue in honour of Brexit or of course let Boris decide once his PM. 8-{}

Reply to
whisky-dave

most live stuff on this planet is green. Or perhaps we should appease some political faction by permitting anything from cream to pink to brown to black.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Trouble is our colours are the same as the French, even the RAF insignia is based on the French one.

GH

Reply to
Marland

3 core and earth was red white and blue until the 14th edition.
Reply to
ARW