Chlorine/Salt Generator for Pools

I've heard about these things I can use to eliminate the need for me to chlorinate my pool.

I was recommended this unit, though I'm sure there is more out there...

Has anyone used these things and had any success with them? Is the AquaRite the Right one to get?

Any info would be helpful... Oh Wait, Any info relating to this topic that is.. (-;

Scott

Reply to
Scott Townsend

Huh? And the sanitizer that is produced from the AquaRite (and others that depend on salt being introduced into the pool water) is what?

Reply to
Travis Jordan

So the Theory is that this thing takes the Na out NaCl and lets the Chlorine do its job.

This will explain it better then I:

Its the way to not have to Chlorinate your pool anymore. You need to keep the Salt Content up, but that is much easier then the Chlorine content.

You d>> I've heard about these things I can use to eliminate the need for me

Reply to
Scott Townsend

I forget which brand I have (it came with the house ;) ) but my pool has one of those thingamajiggers. The water tastes slightly salty and I still have to use chlorine tabs occasionally, but it's nice not having my swimsuits bleached out and my eyes never sting from chemicals. They're nuts when they say, "You'll never again have to worry about... dry itchy skin" though. I have to practically take a bath in lotion after I swim, just like I do with a traditionally-chlorinated pool.

I admit I wussed out and hired a pool company pretty much as soon as I moved in, and they take care of regulating the salt and other chemicals, so I couldn't honestly say how hard it is to maintain the salt levels.

Still... thumbs up.

-- Jennifer

Reply to
Jennifer

Everyone I know here in Florida that has one of these ends up shocking the pool once a month with calcium hypochlorite or liquid chlorine anyway. The supposed "shock mode" of the chlorine generator doesn't raise the chlorine level high enough to kill off the algae that comes with every rainstorm.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

"Scott Townsend" wrote in message news:5_0ig.20737$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...

I just put the "Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator" I'm pretty honest about things I buy. First let me add a few things, reason being I posted here before I bought mine and most replies were from people quoting here say.( heads up their ass) #1 You can not taste the salt, unless there is to much , Ocean 30 parts per. Million, Pool 3 parts per. million #2 Your electric bill will not skyrocket, requires 220V 1 amp. #3 the rebar in your pool will cored and desinigrate.#4 you do not have to run your filter 24-7, You run it for 24 hours when you first add the salt. Now for some facts, The Chlorine generator will not produce enough chlorine by it self. I shock mine about once a week one bag, but the pool temp is 86+ average. Salt dose not evaporate so the only salt loss is from water splashing out of the pool. if you get to much salt in the pool you have to drain some water out. Salt is very cheap so your annual cost would minimal. The biggest advantage I have found the pool seems cleaner and the water feels much better to swim in it really is very noticeable how clean feels. One thing I really like I do not have than Chlorine dispenser floating around. As for cost it ran about $1250.( with salt cost ) I installed it myself. This is the first year I've had it so I can't comment on maintenance, the turbo cell has to be cleaned once in a while. So is it worth it? to me I think it is just for the way the pool feels. and I'm using a little lees chemicals and no chlorine tablets.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

#3 Imeant the rebar WILL NOT corerode

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Are there units like this for Hot tubs?

MoM

Reply to
CHI-MUM

These just replace the chlorine feeder but you still have to shock it once a week or so. The salt content is about 6 PPT, about the same as human fluids. I haven't tried it but I have heard good things.

Reply to
gfretwell