Oil base vs water base

I am an artist. I do wall murals and paint almost anything on almost anything. I use ALL mediums of paint and I can tell you that you never put water-base over oil-base...just the opposite. Save the oil-base for last.

Reply to
bamabomb

You are an artist not a professional painter and not correct, latex is used every day on houses, old houses with oil on them with no issues if surfaces are prepped. What, did you think everybody strips their exteriors of old oil to make it adhere, go back to painting murals.

Reply to
m Ransley

I didn't say artwork was the only kind of painting I do. My brother in law OWNS a paint store and I also do my own painting inside and outside of my house.

Have you ever put latex paint on top of slick oil based paint? Try that and see how well and how long it stays on. Better still, ask someone at a paint store who deals with decking, wall and woodworking paints on a daily basis.

It CAN be done, but you do need to prime oil base paints before using water base paints on top of them. Otherwise it will not stay well. I didn't make this up, it's a fact.

"IF surfaces are prepped" were your exact words but NOTHING was mentioned about prepping in the original question.

I do not intend to argue about it. I am nicer than that. Do as you please!

m Ransley wrote:

Reply to
bamabomb

Your original "question" was:

"I can tell you that you never put water-base over oil-base...just the opposite. Save the oil-base for last."

Please give the product name and manufacturer of one major national brand of oil-based topcoat paint whose labelling recommends or even allows application on top of an existing water-based finish.

Reply to
Ether Jones

I have a porch that is painted with water-based (latex) paint.

You are telling me I can apply an oil-based paint on top of that?? Please give me the name of one such product.

Reply to
Ether Jones

Reply to
bamabomb

Reply to
bamabomb

Please provide the name of ONE nationally-available exterior oil-based paint whose labelling allows application over a pre-existing latex topcoat without any pre-treatment.

Thank you.

Reply to
Ether Jones

What a bunch of crap bablebomb, Latex is painted over old homes with oil everyday with 100% sucess, you Bablebomb, know knothing about the paint business, you just bable crap.

Reply to
m Ransley

I have an exterior set of stairs with cedar treads and risers, and I'm having trouble getting them to hold a coat of paint. (The rest of the structure is painted battleship gray so the stairs need to be painted also, or it won't look right).

These stairs see full sun, wind, rain, snow, and heavy foot traffic.

I have completely disassembled the treads and risers and sanded down to bare new wood, and stored in my garage so it stays dry while I try to figure out what to do.

What would you recommend? Please give specific product names and any special application suggestions that might help make this project successful.

Thanks.

Reply to
Ether Jones

Ever hear of KILZ primer?? (its new) If I had 64 years painting experience I would NEVER argue with the "rookies" and "unexperienced" on the news group. I love the qoute of the week: "When in doubt, just go ahead and do it your way!!" (I will remember this one the rest of my life)

bamabomb wrote:

Reply to
chuckster

I found this in one of my pamphlets that came with a bucket of paint I use wall paint for my wall murals...some people want Alkyds, some want latex, usuall after hearing the difference in price.

If you will be using LATEX finish paint then you can use LATEX or OIL primer. seals that are water based. The clean up for oil base is far too much

Reply to
bamabomb

I found this in one of my pamphlets that came with a bucket of paint I use wall paint for my wall murals...some people want Alkyds, some want latex, usuall after hearing the difference in price.

If you will be using LATEX finish paint then you can use LATEX or OIL primer. seals that are water based. The clean up for oil base is far too much

Reply to
bamabomb

Reply to
bamabomb

Reply to
bamabomb

Chuckler, I don't paint house exteriors, but I don't think that was the subject. yes you can put anything over anything IF you prep first but prepping was not mentioned either. Call it whatever you like ***I*** don't have to paint walls, wooswork, steps, decks or anything very often. Mine lasts a loooooong time and that's what I'm after. If YOU don't like what I say....now, who really cares? there's a little button......

To the two of you who are try> What a bunch of crap bablebomb, Latex is painted over old homes with oil

Reply to
bamabomb

Reply to
bamabomb