Bricks on a patio

A neighbor asked me to help him with a project with bricks. He has an existing walkway of 4x6x1" (roughly) bricks laid on top of a concrete walkway. He wants to add a 5'x5' addition to this and had started out trying to put the bricks on a sand bed then was going to mortar them. I suggested that the mortar would crack in this case and he should put them on a concrete pad, then mortar them.

I think real bricklayers could put the bricks directly on the wet concrete and have them look good (herringbond pattern) but this is beyond my capabilities, I think. I'd rather have the concrete cured then add the bricks in a mortar bed or thinset.

Will thinset work in an exterior application?

If mortar is better, how thick should the mortar bed be (on top of the concrete)

I do remember that mortar can stain bricks, so what the best way to mortar the joints after the base has set up? Or is this done and finished with the original mortar bed?

This will only have foot traffic so is a 3" concrete pad ok? If we put steel in, it will be a 4"x4" mesh probably.

Reply to
Charles Bishop

Never try to set bricks in wet concrete. Best to use thinset but go to a tile store and tell them it is for outdoor use. Most thinset is not recommended for outdoor.

Reply to
tmurf.1

This has worked well for us: Concrete slab-on-grade. Lay out bricks on cured slab. Broom mortar & sand into cracks. Spray gently and let set.

I suggest a joint between old & new brick work. TB

Reply to
tbasc

You can set the bricks into a dry mix, its much easier to get it even and level.

Reply to
m Ransley

Why mortar and sand? Do you mean cement and sand in mortar proportions?

Reply to
Charles Bishop