replacing a 1/2 hp control box

Hello, I've learned a lot from this list & hope someone can help.

Problem: Today (Sunday of course), the control box burned out. This happened 6 years ago and I called a plumber to replace. Now I'm more comfortable with home repair projects but need some advice before I tackle this.

My question is: The original 1/3hp 115v Franklin Control Box was replaced with a 1/2 hp 115v. Was this ok to do? In replacing the control box, should I stick with the 1/2 hp or go back to a 1/3 hp.

History: my home was originally built (in 1997) to be extremely energy efficient, with solar energy panels and everything running on minimal electricity. So when the control box blew 6 years ago, the plumber said our 1/3 hp was too small and that we should upgrade to a bigger pump. Is the control box going to keep blowing out like this because we are using more water than it can handle (I was power washing the deck when this happened.)?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Reply to
JP

What is the pump size? If it is 1/2 hp or less, you will be OK. Hard to say for sure what made it go, but if everything is sized correctly it should last. You may want to check the amp draw of the pump motor. If bearings are starting to go, it will pull a heavier load and that can cause problems. Finding the problem now makes it much more convenient to repair or replace than if it goes on Christmas morning.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski