Best Rated threads in Home Repairshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Fridge Door Doesn't Shut Properly
I have an Amana side by side fridge - freezer unit. It is about 9 years old. The fridge door doesn't shut very well, and needs to be pushed shut to get a tight seal. (It used to self shut quite...
4
4

Pouring a concrete slab
A friend of mine offered to buid me a storage shed if I got all the materials and poured a concrete slab. I have 3 problems: 1) My child bride wants to see what it will look like before anything...
11
11

cooling 580 sq. ft garage?
hi, we have a 2 car attached garage that is 580 sq ft with a 10 ft ceiling. there is one window. ceiling has insullation. this is in the tampa bay area and the garage turns into an oven during the...
5
5

Sump Pump & Leaky Basement
I am rehabbing a house that I hope to move in to that has had drainage problems in the basement. (Because I am not in the house all the time, it is hard to closely watch drainage issues as they...
5
5

Cleaning Slate Floor
We had a Raja Slate floor installed in an outside access room. Since it is so rough, is there any way to clean the floor other than with an old fashioned cloth mop? Thanks
1
1

Disposal of latex paint
I have about 100 lbs of assorted junk remnants of latex paint. What is the proper way to dispose of it. thanks i
12
12

Need to cover fireplace opening
We just purchased a free-standing pellet stove, which is now placed on the back side of the brick wall of our fireplace. The new stove's pipe is installed in the chimney, and we can no longer use...
1
1

Proper Installation of Corrugated Pipe for Drainage Purposes
I have had a leaky basement, and I had corrugated polyethylene pipe (about 4 inches in diameter) installed on two sides (South and North sides) of my house under about 8 inches of soil. There is...
6
6

Paint for cement basement
I have 2 gallons of cement paint, which I used on my basement. I also have 2 five gallon buckets of exterior wood paint. How well will the wood paint work on cement? It's in the basement, so...
10
10

Quality of zinc cabinet hardware?
I am looking for cabinet knobs and handles on the web. I see a lot of stuff made from zinc (often plated with brass). Is this a good material of should I be avoiding zinc. Thanks.
2
2

Prep work for new microwave
The microwave is arriving in a few days so I downloaded the Whirlpool installation instructions from the web. I'll be using a 3.5x10 rectangular vent through the wall. The instructions say to cut...
1
1

Question about painting rough cedar clapboards
I have cedar clapboards on my house with the rough side facing out. We are trying to understand the best way to scrape/sand the old paint off without having to sand it smooth and remove the rough...
4
4

Closet doors - bottom rail or top hung.. which is beter
I looked a closet bypass doors. Saw there were types that were hung on top, and ones that ride along a rail on the floor. Does anyone have strong opinions on which is better, specifically which will...
1
1

air cushion/water hammer arrestors in plumbing
How important is it to have air cushions and/or water hammer arrestors in plumbing? My current galvanized plumbing has some sections of pipe where there is a long straight section coming off a "T"...
1
1

"seasoning" cast iron frill grates
Just purchased a new NG grill ...it has HEAVYcast iron grill grates and I want to "season" them before the first grilling. I had heard a long time ago when seasoning a cast iron frying pan, just to...
12
12

Leaning lamp post
I have a gas lantern lamp post that is leaning. I perfer not to dig too deep to make it upright since it is gas. I was thinking, dig deep enough to pour cement base (maybe 1ft down) , pull lamppost to...
1
1

Refrigerator only partialy cooling
Frigidaire Gallery about 6 yrs old (Model# FRS26ZGGW6) Was working fine then seemed to stop cooling. Pull out and cleaned all the lint etc. from coils and it seemed to get better but its not back to...
8
8

220 volt wiring question
I just bought a Lincoln Square Wave Tig 175 Pro welder. The wiring/fuse recomendations are 10 ga/100 amp. I have a 200 amp home service and a 200 amp panel with two empty breaker slots and two unused...
15
15

12 amp a/c (2001) blows 15a type sl fuses?
all originally built 1979. circuit: circuit used only for a/c (single outlet). runs thru 20 breaker in panel , then 15 aml type sl fuse on each line (black, white) in nearby fuse box. then about 25 to...
14
14

Removing last of the carpet tack strips
The evil carpet installer used way too much glue on some of the tack strips. I pried up most of them but some broke through and have left about 2 or 3 mm worth of wood and glue sticking to the...
2
2