Door out of square since I leveled house...

I finally looked under that bottom piece of siding, on the rear corner of my house which is on a slab. (used to be a carport, they made it a room.) The sill plate and corner post had old dryed rot and possibly old termite damage, no water and no active infestation. But the sill plate (bottom of stud wall) was rotten, etc. So I screwed a 2x6 into the studs after removing some siding, and jacked up the whole corner of the house, just a little bit. I cut out the rotten sill and replaced it with PT. Also scabbed some PT onto the rotten vertical studs which rested on top of this new sill. When I was done, there was a little bit of crack in the (new) sheetrock inside, which I attributed to the sheetrock being put in while the back of the house was lower than it should have been. But slowly, the door which is around the corner 90° from this back wall, has gone out of square. If I hang a plumb line off the top rear corner of the door frame, the bottom of it will be between 1/4 and 1/2" from the bottom corner. There's a gap at the latch side of the door and I have to lift it to deadbolt it now. My problem is, I don't know how to figure out: Did the door get installed after the corner of the house sunk, or did I jack up the corner of the house higher than it was originally, (abouit 40 years ago), or more importantly; what the hell do I do now? TIA

Reply to
carlos gonzales

Uninstall the door and frame, and reinstall it square to the new reality you created. It might have been installed square in a saggy wall, or it might have moved around over the years. It'll be a couple of hours work at most. If the door frame self-destructs as you remove it, not a real big deal-the big box places have sales on prehung doors more weeks than not. While you have the frame out, put a level on the rough opening in all 3 planes- that will tell you the status of the wall.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers