Subject Author Posted Replies

Darn thieves
Why not just round the heads of the bolts over with a hammer. Ball peen hammers do wonders. But then again they will just bend them & snap them off & some one will have to figure out how to get the...
1
1

Experiences with, opinions on "Shark Bite" pipe fittings?
I needed to replace an outside spigot, was hoping for find one that used a compression fitting, the guy at Home Depot was trying to sell me on these Shark Bite pipe fittings. Seeing that the crucial...
69
69

New sheet vinyl has indentations, defective?
I just bought 10 feet of new Congolium Ultima sheet vinyl off a 12 foot roll. After I laid it out in my garage so I could cut it up using my template I noticed slight indentations in it. The...
4
4

How to store laminate flooring?
I got/installed a bunch of obsolete laminate flooring off craigslist. Now, I feel compelled to save some "just in case". Of course, I've got three different kinds. No chance that I'd find any...
13
13

Well-made, dependable casements -- do they exist?
Like the title says: Well-made, long-lasting casement windows that seal properly for a few decades -- is there (are there) such a thing? I have an application that would be perfect for casements, and...
5
5

Attaching drop ear 90 to concrete block wall
I have to attach some brass fittings to concrete block walls. Those are "drop ear 90" at the end of copper water supply lines that look like this:
14
14

OT: More on High Fructose Corn Syrup
Just in time for Thanksgiving yet another story on the HFCS scam: Here's the URL for the Science Daily article: paragraph really hits home: "With the introduction of HFCS in the 1970s, an increased...
47
47

another cast iron radiator question
I've got a seperate loop of my wood boiler system that goes to a little used upstairs bedroom. It has a shut off where it branches off the main line to the house. It has always worked fine, and I just...
18
18

Almost fell for this one at Lows Dewalt 18volt Drill
Lows# 185475 Dewalt# Dang, this thing has probably been sitting in a wharehouse for years. NiCd batteries. Dewalt doesn't even list it on their web site.
13
13

OT: What Thanksgiving Means
A Proclamation. The year that is drawing towards its close, has been filled with the blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies. To these bounties, which are so constantly enjoyed that we are...
11
11

Banks. Anyone out there smart enough to comment
Andy comments: I think you should ask someone at your local Home Depot. Often the sales people there know a great deal about home repair...... ..... or, you could ask someone at a bank. Andy in...
4
4

Wall anchors for fireplace mantle
I am going to my daughters house to re-hang up a cue stick holder on a brick wall. I will also hang a fireplace mantle and she said it is heavy. I have packed my masonary bits. What recommendations...
8
8

Mold question
I have mold under my caulk in my bathroom. I just removed the caulk. Are there any recommendations on something to clean it up with that will stop it from coming back? Also, are there any...
17
17

De-Molding Retro Vinyl Furniture
When it comes to laundering--laundering--upholstered furniture, up to and including every piece of a sleeper sofa, I have done it. I have done it with detergent and a garden hose in 90-degree weather....
3
3

RC beam calculator
A simple calculator for Reinforced concrete beam is available at you can easily calculate the strength of rectangular doubly reinforced concrete beam Please visit the following link for calculating...
3
3