OT: More on High Fructose Corn Syrup

Just in time for Thanksgiving yet another story on the HFCS scam:

Here's the URL for the Science Daily article:

One paragraph really hits home:

"With the introduction of HFCS in the 1970s, an increased intake of fructose has occurred and obesity rates have risen simultaneously."

And now, O Ye Stalwarts of ahr, have a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends -- and with guests who have nowhere to go.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Higgs Boson wrote in news:730a28a9-dc0c-4f70-9d00- snipped-for-privacy@37g2000prx.googlegroups.com:

And during the exact same time period, computer ownership has skyrocketed! HFCS therefore causes computer ownership.

Think, carefully, about /both/ of those alleged correlations.

Ever heard of this logical fallacy?: A preceded B, therefore A caused B. That paragraph in sciencedaily.com is a classic example of that fallacy.

Happy Turkey Day to all of you as well. Diet Cokes all around.

Reply to
Tegger

Yes, Yes, I know about correlation and causation from my many years in the trenches of the non-smokers' rights battles. The tobacco lobby made good use of that "correlation doesn't mean causation" fallacy.

However, I wouldn't write off the HFCS correlation/causation quite so cavalierly.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

My personal experience is that this guy is talking through his hat.

Reply to
Tegger

"WW" wrote in news:lpednR_ubtUiV3DRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@bresnan.com:

Splenda too, yes.

Reply to
Tegger

There's another kind of sugar that's good for you - sort of.

Lactulose is available over-the-counter in Europe but requires a prescription here. The body cannot digest Lactulose, so the stuff moves, eventually, to the large intestine. In the large intestine, the resident bacteria go "Whoopee! Yum-yum time!" and start digesting the Lactulose like crazy. In so doing, this fermentation process calls on the body for more water (why, I don't know).

The result is a VERY effective stool-softener, and, unlike many other stool softeners, can be taken daily for decades.

In sum, Lactulose is a specific for constipation (and a couple of other problems).

Reply to
HeyBub

"HeyBub" wrote in news:DeGdnVCoWMvF9XPRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Cellulose is also an excellent remedy for constipation; it may be taken safely for an entire lifetime, in any quantity desired, and is a lot cheaper than Lactulose.

Reply to
Tegger

And if you plot the consumption of coca-cola versus the incidence of lung cancer during the period 1948-1962 you will see that coca-cola "must" cause lung cancer. We need to be very sensitive not to confuse association with causation!

Reply to
Peter

OMG, Coca-Cola caused the Vietnam war!

Reply to
krw

There are a lot of other factors that can easily explain the increasing weight of Westerners in general and Americans in particular:

  • The advent of cable TV, and affordable recorded and recordable video media and equipment to use it with, computers, video games, and Internet, motivates people to be less active
  • Population shift into neighborhoods where a car rather than walking is used to go to the corner store
  • Employment shifting to occupations with less physical activity
  • Increasing size of the single serving soda bottle
  • Fast food restuarants coming up with "value meals" and low price for "supersizing" (fries and especially sodas have low actual cost)
  • Fast food restaurants making available larger burgers
  • Increasing sugar content in fruit juices
  • A noted increase in restaurant portions
Reply to
Don Klipstein

One observer noted our plates got bigger. In the 50s a standard dinner plate was 9", now they are 12"

Reply to
gfretwell

I thought it was Bush's fault? 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Well there are MANY health professionals who agree with him. And no, I won't provide the cites.

Reply to
clare

From various sources:::::

Many kinds of sugar - Sucrose - table sugar (cane or beet), Fructose (fruit sugar) and Glucose(grape sugar) Lactose (milk sugar), dextrose,

HFCS is a group of corn syrups which have undergone processing to increase their fructose content and are then mixed with pure glucose corn syrup to reach their final form. Glucose is a simple sugar used by our body?s cells as a source of energy and as a metabolic regulator. Fructose is also a simple sugar. It has a lower glycemic index relative to other sugars because fructose is metabolized in the liver through phosphorylation, a complex process of reactions that controls enzyme activity.

The typical types of HFCS are

HFCS 90 (most commonly used in baked goods) which is approximately 90% fructose and 10% glucose HFCS 55 (most commonly used in soft drinks) which is approximately 55% fructose and 45% glucose, and HFCS 42 (most commonly used in sports drinks) which is approximately

42% fructose and 58% glucose. HCFS tastes 40% sweeter than sucrose (table sugar), which tastes 25% sweeter than glucose.

Read more at:

According to Science Daily, (June 21, 2010) ? Fructose, a sugar widely used in soft drinks and processed foods, often gets some of the blame for the widespread rise in obesity. Now a laboratory study has found that when fructose is present as children's fat cells mature, it makes more of these cells mature into fat cells in belly fat and less able to respond to insulin in both belly fat and fat located below the skin. You can read the rest at:

A recent bit of critical research conducted at Princeton demonstrated:

all sweeteners are not equal when it comes to weight gain: Rats with access to high-fructose corn syrup gained significantly more weight than those with access to table sugar, even when their overall caloric intake was the same.

In addition to causing significant weight gain in lab animals, long-term consumption of high-fructose corn syrup also led to abnormal increases in body fat, especially in the abdomen, and a rise in circulating blood fats called triglycerides. The researchers say the work sheds light on the factors contributing to obesity trends in the United States.

Glucose and fructose metabolize differently, as Elizabeth Parks, associate professor of clinical nutrition at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas explained to the New York Times,

"In humans, triglycerides, which are a type of fat in the blood, are mostly formed in the liver. Dr. Parks said the liver acts like "a traffic cop" who coordinates how the body uses dietary sugars. When the liver encounters glucose, it decides whether the body needs to store it, burn it for energy or turn it into triglycerides.

But when fructose enters the body, it bypasses the process and ends up being quickly converted to body fat.

"It's basically sneaking into the rock concert through the fence," Dr. Parks said. "It's a less-controlled movement of fructose through these pathways that causes it to contribute to greater triglyceride synthesis. The bottom line of this study is that fructose very quickly gets made into fat in the body."

from:

Many people believe that eating honey is better because it is "natural." However, one teaspoon of honey has six calories, which is more than one teaspoon of raw sugar. Honey is sweeter than raw sugar so when adding it to foods you may be able to use less. Sugar is sugar whether it is coming from raw sugar or honey.

Reply to
clare

"Sugar: The Bitter Truth"

Reply to
T. Keating

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Coca Cola caused the moon landings. The ones that weren't filmed in a Hollywood sound stage, I mean.

Reply to
Tegger

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

There's more to it than meets the eye. Ever eaten at TGI Fridays?

Reply to
Tegger

I was thinking more of a Dardens restaurant (Red Lobster/Olive Garden) where they brag about how many pounds of food you get.

Reply to
gfretwell

"Don Klipstein" wrote

As a kid in the '50s, there was a Pepsi jingle for the 12 oz bottles that went "Pepsi Cola hits the spot, two full glasses, that's a lot" So we went from 6 ounces a serving to 16, 20, even more at many places.

Agree with your other notes also.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Nah, that was Tang.