Cistern Syphon

The cistern syphon is playing up - you know the kind of thing - it starts needing a little extra pump of the lever, then needs a double pump and so on.

The loo is an Ideal Standard. I've looked on Fast Part - their spares service, but I don't know which part I need. The syphon is an Ideal Standard Jetflow, but I cannot see any product codes on it. And I've looked through the cisterns too, and cannot see our one.

Is it possible to get repair kits for these? Or is the product code somewhere I am just missing? The loo is about 11-12 years old.

Thanks

John

Reply to
John Whitworth

Lift the syphon out and remove the plunger from the bell. Cut a piece of heavy polythene to fit inside the size of the bell. A piece from one of those thick carrier bags you get in the shops.

METHOD.

Place carrier bag on a table edge, spead out flat. Lay the bell housing of the syphon on the carrier, making sure the polythene stays flat.

Draw around the bell housing with a marker pen to get the correct size for your cut out.

While the bell housing is still in place on the carrier bag, push the plunger rod down through the hole in the bell housing, keeping it as straight as possible, and mark the centre of the cut out for the centre hole that fits over the plunger rod.

Cut out all the bits you need and re-install.

You'll find this to be the cheapest and best repair kit on the market. And it'll last just as long as the original one did.

Reply to
BigWallop

Otherwise I think replacement mechanisms are pretty standard. I bought a Wickes own brand one.

Chris R

Reply to
Chris R

Great - thanks BigWallop. Now why didn't they show that on Blue Peter when I was younger? I will give that a go tomorrow.

Reply to
John Whitworth

I was a little afraid to just buy any old mechanism. I'd already been through a major palaver trying to get a cistern lever a few years back. The Ideal Standard lever is anything but standard!

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

"John Whitworth" wrote: Great - thanks BigWallop. Now why didn't they show that on Blue Peter when I was younger? I will give that a go tomorrow.

--------------------------------------------------- Make sure it is not biodegradable (as much of the plastic carrier bag material is now) otherwise you will be replacing it again soon whereas as a proper polythene syphon diaphragm should last for years.

Reply to
DIY

I did it this morning using what I thought was a fairly thick Next carrier bag. It wasn't...

Tomorrow, it will be re-done using the plastic from our rabbit litter bags - that's far thicker - and looks like it will be around for hundreds of years in landfill! ;-)

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth