Replacing doughnut washer on close-coupled cistern

Help!! I am hoping you guys can help me pronto, please, as I have the toilet all in bits. :-)

We were having a leak from the bottom of the cistern from around the doughnut washer area. I have replaced the syphon (as it wasn't working well) and got a new doughnut kit. I've got the cistern all assembled, and I've put the doughnut washer on the exit pipe from the syphon. It all looked fine. However, when I went to reassemble it, it's all 'wobbly'. I haven't tightened the bolts at all, but it feels like the doughnut washer is too thick and it just isn't fitting into place. Or I haven't got it lined up. Or perhaps that what it's meant to be like and I just need to tighten it?

This is the first time I've tackled this particular job, and I'm not sure what to do. Is the idea just to keep tightening the bolts, and the doughnut will just compress right down? I don't want to crack the pan, because that makes it into a really big job.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
GB

Tighten the bolts evenly and it should compress the doughnut and everything should firm up. If not, it could be too thick for the job, there are various types about.

Failing that, use the old one & Plumbers Mait.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks for the very quick response, Dave. The old one was falling to bits, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that this new one works.

Reply to
GB

I tightened it all up, and it's fine. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Reply to
GB

It took me a number of attempts (and gushing water everywhere while trying). It has to be pretty central otherwise when you tighten the bolts and compress it, half of it wants to flop down the water entrance to the pan. I eventually had to get down low with a torch while tightening up.

Reply to
Adrian C

Half of it wants to flop down the water entrance to the pan" ???????????? I've not seen any doughnut that "flops" anywhere .They are fairly stiff !!!

Reply to
.

Not when sat under the weight of the cistern, tightened to the 'pan under the metal plate, and the water pan entrance was largish with glazed slippery sides (though that might be peculiar to this 'Armitage Shanks' set) compared to the 'standard' donut the plumbers merchant gave me. Mind you, I had a quick look at replacement donuts in B&Q and there seems to be a variablity of design.

Now, thanks to me mention of donuts and glaze, my sugar craving has hit the roof. Excuse me ... ;-)

Reply to
Adrian C