Help with close-coupled WC

The flap valve needed replacing so I've done the sensible thing and fitted a two part syphon, which works fine. (And will make replacing the flap valve a two-minute job in future.)

However, there is a persistent drip from the bottom of the cistern, coming off one of the bolts which holds the cistern to the pan. I suspect that the hole in the bottom of the cistern where the end of the syphon comes out is larger than normal as when I took the old syphon out, there was some brown rubbery sealant type stuff filling the gap between the syphon pipe and the edge of the hole, between the black washer inside the cistern and the nut on the outside. I showed this to the man at the plumbers' merchant and he said I shouldn't need anything like that, the washer on its own should make it watertight. I've got a new close couple plate and doughnut washer, but even with the old brown sealant gunk replaced where it was, I still get a drip. Do I need new sealant, if so, what sort? On the instructions for the new syphon, it says, "No sealing compound, paste, flux or solvent to be used with plastic or rubber surfaces to avoid damage."

Alternatively, is it possible that the leak is just happening because I haven't got the syphon nut tight enough? I've got it _very_ finger tight, but haven't got a big enough spanner to do it any further. Is there a standard size for the hole in the bottom of the cistern? The previous occupier liked to do things in non-standard ways (electrician said we were lucky to be alive, but that's another story ...)

Thanks for any help.

- guy

Reply to
Guy Snape

Personally, I've barely managed to get any joint on a ceramic cistern not to dribble without at least a smearing of bog standard (sorry!) sanitary silicone.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

That's what those doughnuts are for....

Reply to
Andy Hall

If the valve isn't sealed to the cistern properly, water can leak out between the cistern and the metal plate as the OP describes. The doughnut doesn't stop that.

Instruction with my new WCs also said not to use any sealant and I didn't need to on the valve, but I did need it on the hole for the water inlet and on the blanking plug for the alternate inlet hole.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Well the rather-more-than-a-smearing I put on seems to have done the job OK. I hate that stuff though, I can never get it to behave itself.

Thanks for the replies.

- guy

Reply to
Guy Snape