Toilet cistern handle problem

The handle on our toilet is faulty. I cannot see an easy fix, thought this might be a good time to change is for the button type. I do not wish to change the actual cistern as unless it was exactly the same size it would mess the tiling.

Reply to
Broadback

When you say that the handle is faulty, is it a problem with the handle itself (you can buy new handles) or with the syphon which it operates.

If you want a button flush, you'll need to replace the syphon anyway with something like this:

Is it a close coupled cistern which connects directly to the back of the pan? If so, you'll need to remove it in order to replace the innards and, when you put it back, you'll need to replace the doughnut seal between cistern and pan.

Easily DIY-able but allow 3 times as long as you think it ought to take!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Are you sure that one will fit? Maybe the following is better?

GB

Well, I've replaced two of my conventional syphon and lever arrangements with the type I cited - and the OP did mention the possibility of a button flush. I don't see why the lever type would fit if the button type wouldn't - they both use the hole which the original lever used.

Depending on the size of the hole in the cistern, more or less of the button assembly ends up inside the cistern rather than in a little bulge on the outside.

Reply to
Roger Mills

My apologies. I wasn't sure the button would fit the hole, but I should have realised that you'd have tried the button one before recommending it. The TS site specifically states the second one works.

Reply to
GB

No apology needed. I didn't make it clear in my earlier post that I had actually done it. The button type comes with a cowl which has to be used if the button ends up outside the cistern but can be discarded if the hole is big enough to get all but the outer flange inside. I think the Fluidmaster fitting instructions are online if anyone wants more detail.

Reply to
Roger Mills

It is the handle itself, wear on the sleeve as it enters the cistern.

Reply to
Broadback

Why not just replace the handle?

Reply to
GB

Well, you can buy a new handle and sleeve assembly easily enough.

This any good?

Roger Mills

Indeed, and I've pointed him towards a potentially suitable replacement.

I rather fear that if that solution wasn't obvious to the OP, my earlier suggestion of replacing the cistern innards may be somewhat beyond him!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Push button toilets can be a pain in the arse. Ours is 8 years old and has been nothing but a problem. It did not come cheap. I know others who have had trouble with them, usually water running in to the pan or the button getting stuck. Stick with the lever operated.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I installed our pushbutton cistern 13 years ago and have had no problems.

Reply to
Bod

Do wooden caravans really have indoor toilets?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Shed. Which you called grotty.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

One of your walls is actually shared with another home!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

What exactly is wrong with the handle? I lost the interconnect with the siphon once and a bit of bent brazing rod did the trick. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff