Re: TV picture has shrunk - OT?

Ok, its possibly off topic so if you don't want to read it turn > away now...

> > > We have a c 5 years old 28" JVC CRT flatscreen tv known as a > 'widescreen' > I believe. Between switching it off one evening and then on the > following > day the displayed picture has gone from filling the whole > screen to just a > central square in the centre of the screen that fills the depth > of the > scree but has a significant black border down each side of it. > > I have gone to the menu and tried to change the aspect but none > of the > settings (panorama; 16:9 or whatever)make any difference to the > size of > the visible picture. > > I'm now under orders to get a repair man in to chack it out > but, before > doing so (in case I'm missing something really simple) I > thought I'd seek > a solution here first. > > Thanks for reading through and any suggestions will be > gratefully > received. > > -- > David >

You have a line scan problem - TV man required, sad to say.

If you live near a Comet they have a network of repair centres, albeit it will take about a week - 10 days.

Reply to
Woody

Or, if you're using SCART from a set top box or the like, try changing the signal input to the ariel socket on the Tele' instead of SCART, to see if it makes a difference. The SCART input may be causing the problem.

If none of this makes any sense, then get a man in to do it for you.

Also, but not least. I thought these Teles' had a 10 year guarantee?

Reply to
BigWallop

You could try a reset. I don't know about JVC TV's but with Sony CRT's if you unplug from the mains and leave it for at least 12 hrs, when you plug it back in the TV goes through the installation routine of asking what launage, rescanning for channels etc.. There may even be something in the menu (usually an 'advanced' setting) that offers to do a reset and install or similar.

However, I too think this may be a line scan problem as Woody pointed out, but rather than go to Comet who will charge the earth, call the little guy from the small ads in your local paper who will probably come out the next day and possibly do the repair without taking it away and far cheaper as he doesn't have the overheads Comet has.

Oh and my personal experience of Comet and Curry's repair people is that the guy who comes out to you is little more than a van driver who can spot if the fuse has gone or aerial wire fallen out but that's about it, they just come and take your box away for weeks, and weeks then bring it back, in my experience with the fault is still there... or a diferent one - I had a bright green screen once - after it was repaired!. you'd have thought they'd have spotted that wouldn't you?

Ron

Reply to
Ron O'Brien

Ron's on the rigth track. The little TV repair shop in Wick offers a no repair, no fee deal. Ed

Reply to
Tiscali News

On my TV remote, I have a button called Aspect Ratio. If you have one, it may be that it has been pressed and altered the TV picture size.

Reply to
the_constructor

Thanks Ron and others.

I did check all connections and also tried a reset. Sadly I think the time has come for me to go through yellow pages (or whatever) and call out a man.

If anyone in Yorkshire's 'golden triangle' has any recommendations I'll be pleased to take them.

Reply to
David P