fried bacon troubles.

It costs two or three times per slice what uncooked bacon does. I make my own. I cook a pound or two at a time, save the bacon fat, and keep unused slices in the freezer. I wouldn't fry up one slice to have bacon bits for a salad of string beans, but with it in the freezer, I can have them. I have a long rectangular plastic container that they just fit.

Sugar-cured bacon has a "bite" in my mouth. Two BLT sandwiches will leave my palate a bit sore. I've been told that sugar is added to bacon to make it brown up more readily; one certainly doesn't need the sweetness. Most cooked bacon in the market -- all that I've seen -- is sugar cured. What I cook myself is not.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins

The one I have has ridges so that the food is supported as if on a grill. I rarely use it. A glass or china plate works as well for bacon and needs less room in the dishwasher.

Many microwave dishes are partly conductive, and so are heated by the microwave radiation. This helps to brown the outside of some foods. It makes no difference to bacon.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins

Ok, I'm easy -I'll bite - how is it that your pre-cooked bacon is raw and your pre-cooked bacon is not cooked, and my recommendation for pre-cooked bacon is not pre-cooked? This better be good, or you'll have to put down the bong for the rest of the day. :-)

Reply to
--

I deep fry whenever I cook more than a few slices.By letting the oil accumulate in the skillet, there is soon enough to completely submerge the slices. The hotter the fat, the faster the cooking. When I get going for a mob, the first slice is done by the time the last goes in. The drill is one in, one out, as quickly as I can manage. By the time I get to the third pound, it needs only about 3 minutes start to end.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins

Bacon deep fried in hot enough fat, held up by one end to drip as it's removed, then cooled on absorbent paper (brown bag, paper towel, inkless newsprint) is crisp enough to snap when cooled. Make bits for garnish by crushing it in your hand; no need for a knife.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins

One more: wait for a nice day, open windows for cross ventilation, put a fan in one, facing put, and cook two or three pounds of bacon for the freezer. After an hour or so, you can turn off the fan.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins

The bacon cooking dish - (replaced my slanted, ribbed, microwave "bacon cooker" withn its paper towels because it was easier this way)

Get two sheets decent grade paper towel off roll, don't separate.

Place bacon on bottom sheet, fold top sheet loosely over bacon at towel separator crease. (Bottom towel asbsorbs grease and helps fry, top towel minimizes spatters.)

(For more than two strips bacon, add another sheet to the bottom.)

Set towel with bacon on that mini-stack (3) of decent plastic-COATED (Dixie, e.g.) microwave safe paper plates you keep in the microwave so you don't have to clean the wave or keep getting plates. (If the top paper plate gets greasy and it doesn't wipe well enough with a paper towel, you can toss it.)

Zap on high for 1:20 for a 750 watt, about 1 minute for a 1000 watt, (about

12 seconds for a 5000 watt doesn't work as well, you need to fry a bit). If you get different cooking in spots, and turning it halfway thru doesn't help, IME it's usually old bacon.

Reply to
--

Or Islam. There's Kosher "bacon", you know. Made from beef plate. Something like fryable pastrami.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins

Once, on half-price special.

A little thin on the grease, way too pricey, and using the microwave and paper towel method on uncooked, no big advantage in time. I still use two paper towels, and for me it meant I nuked for 45 seconds less a slice -- for $10 a pound equivalent, it wasn't worth it.

I've seen it in the stores,

Reply to
--

Stink is in the nose of the inhaler.

jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins

OK pass the Halel bacon .......

Reply to
Joel M. Eichen

Or take out the barbeque and cook it on the sidewalk .....

Reply to
Joel M. Eichen

It's just a sophomoric quibble -- the kind I like. "Pre-cooked" can mean "cooked before", as in "prefabricated" or it can bean "before being cooked", as in "pre-school". Consider your leg properly pulled. (But whichever meaning one adopts, pre-cooked bacon certainly exists.)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins

On Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn, there is at least one butcher who sells meat that is both Kosher and Halal. He has a lot of goat meat as well as beef, and sometimes camel.

Jerry

P.S. It's not true that there is Kosher bacon from circumcised hogs.

Reply to
Jerry Avins

This thread certainly displays a lot of imagination, but I'm surprised no one has noted that all these measures are really much more needed over in the Scrapple thread. Talk about stinky!

-aem

Reply to
aem

Pre means before.

What would YOU call bacon before it's cooked?

Reply to
Bob Ward

raw; uncooked

Reply to
Jerry Avins

Don't they add white lead to make it crisp faster?

Reply to
Choreboy

uncooked.

So, for the sake of curiosity, what would the proper english user call bacon that was cooked before packaging?

Reply to
--

Cool!

How does he get the camel past the rabbis?

Camels have toes I hear, not hooves.

Joel

Come to think of it, isn't there a website devoted to cattle hooves .......? WAIT A MINUTE ........

Reply to
Joel M. Eichen