fried bacon troubles.

In article , Arri London wrote: [ ... ]

Stink is in the nose of the besniffer.

As for the original problem, either venilation or cooking outside.

Speaking of bacon, I've found a brand called Branding Iron which smells _strongly_ of caramel. As soon as I cut open the package.

However, it doesn't shrink 50% or more when cooked, so it's now my brand of choice.

The fragrance of fried Tootsie Rolls is a bit unusual, though.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

Definitely, but there's ALWAYS more than you need unless you have a fat-craving pet.

You didn't nuke it long enough. I have a 1KW oven and gave it 10 seconds per strip, which crisps it up nicely. I thought it was really good.

Reply to
The Real Bev

have you every tried deep-fried bacon? Back when I worked at a burger place in high school, the cooks would try that every so often, because it's faster. It's really gross tho.

Reply to
Amber Gibson

the flat up, and the >smell lasts for ages ! Any suggestions please; as to how to either get rid of the smell >once there or prevent it being too bad when he fries the bacon in the first place.

Move. ;-)

Reply to
Food For Thought

It's been coated with sugar....maybe brown sugar or corn syrup. You can sprinkle regular bacon with sugar and it comes out the same way. Less shrinkage, less spattering, and very nice salty/sweet taste.

Reply to
Food For Thought

Where my other half works they cook the bacon then leave it in bowl above the stove all day.. when someone orders a bacon burger they heat it up by deep frying it.

Reply to
samfroe

Dont forget who will be picking your nursing home.

Reply to
Rod Speed

The state will pick yours because, as with your entire life, they pay the tab. This happens when one has no job skills. Still smarting over the toilet cleaning job that canned you?

Reply to
Rod Slow

Joels "never" wrong, just loud and persistent

Reply to
Robert Morien

I agree. Greasy bacon is gross but I do get the itch to eat some once a month or so. That's why I suggested sieve draining the bacon while hot before packing. And putting them betweeen paper napkins when nuking so as to remove more grease.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Microwave it between paper towels and on a plate. Frying is better, but microwaving cuts down on the smoke and smell.

Reply to
traveler

Yes, there is........

It's not bad if used in Sandwiches.

Reply to
Katra

How safe is this around pet birds???

Reply to
Katra

I'm surprised that no one has suggested bakin' it in the oven on a cookie sheet - the grease doesn't get hot enough to vaporize, and if you spread the slices on a cake cooking rack, they drain automatically

- make it as crisp as you like.

Reply to
Bob Ward

Yes that works - I've tried it.

My missus came home one day with microwavable bacon. Slices of bacon in plastic bags that just go in the microwave. They swell up like a pop-corn bag and the result is not too bad - though not as mouth- watering as bacon from a freshly sizzling frypan.

But it seems an expensive way of avoiding the smell.

-- altheim

Reply to
altheim

thanks for all the responses. would you or anyone be able to give me the name or manufacturer of the above ' microwavable bacon dishes' since i am in london u.k. and may have to order one from the u.s. since i have not seen them here. many thanks

Reply to
ghbt

I suppose the bacon on the back of the pig is also pre-cooked.

Reply to
Joel M. Eichen

Robert Morein says there is no such thing ....

Joel

Reply to
Joel M. Eichen

This my sound crazy, but my sister says it works. Try toasting some marshmallows over the kitchen range. She told me that they found it out when her husband experimented with marshmallows in the microwave and burned them. It killed the smell they had lingering from when they had a skunk under the house.

Bill Gill

Reply to
Bill

Why crispy? Crispoid or crispish might be more to his taste. For my part, I prefer it really crisp, rather than approximately so. (I know it's a losing battle.)

Bacon cooked in a microwave oven can be made just as crisp as bacon cooked in a pan, with less odor and easier clean-up. Wrap the slices in paper towel, at least two layers below and one over, but more might reduce the odor in the kitchen.

When did you last replace the charcoal filter?

You're welcome.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins