Wood Gloat

Page 2 of 6
Sun, Jan 30, 2005, 7:29pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@fairfax.com (DaveinFairfax) claims: Hah! I'm a nurse, you can't scare me with something that can't be projectile.
Best be carefuld with rash statements, a couple of times in Nam I swear I could have "projected" 30 paces.
JOAT The first method of estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him. - Niccolo Machiavelli
J T wrote:

I don't doubt it a bit. I just wasn't worried about getting sprayed by a picture. As for the real stuff, I'm home and I ain't answering my beeper. %-)
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Now *that* IS too much information...
That could spoil even a good man's taste for cleavage.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Actually I'd rather see pictures of her projects -- if she has any she cares to share.
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 20:24:45 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com wrote:

I have a few of some cutting boards I made (got the plans from one of Mag Ruffman's websites) but my computer refuses to download them from my camera and I cannot sort out the reason why.
jaime wrote:

Tell us more. You're talking to a fairly large number of ex-computer professionals, some not so ex. What kind of camera, what kind of computer, what software. Is the camera configured as a external drive, or does the software HAVE to be used to get the pix? If it's an external drive and you're using winders, does the camera show up as a drive using explorer?
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

I will email you about it when I get a chance. My computer issues are off topic.
jaime wrote:

OK, but if you haven't noticed, OT is what we do a lot of around here. Occasional WWg content allowed. I really was thinking about sharing it with the group BTW, there are A LOT of brains here to pick.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Alrighty. If I am not too busy tomorrow then I will post a new thread regarding my computer problems.
Presently I am falling asleep at the keyboard and in need of 5 or 6 solid hours of sleep.
Goodnight. :-)
Jaime wrote: snip

Aw Hell, Silvan. Now ya went and scared (s)him off. Come back Jaime, Come back.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

I'm back.
Oh yeah..... I am a *she*. :-)
Sat, Jan 29, 2005, 10:55pm snipped-for-privacy@canada.com (Jaime) explains: <snip> Oh yeah..... I am a *she*. :-) Thank the Gods. I was starting to wonder if we should be worry, what with an e-mail address what says "missjaime".
JOAT Some is good, more is better, too much is just enough. - Unknown
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 00:46:40 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

No worries. I know what body parts I am in possession of and they are all female. :-)
I just had to switch my email address to a working one from a nonworking one.
jaime wrote:

The first question is WHY. Most people here use a munged addy and have an working addy written out in their sig line so that the spambots have a harder time collecting the real addy. The ladies on the wRECk are very welcome and very competent, we'd be glad to add you to their number. Even if you won't comment on suckage. Your appreciation of good wood is, however, appreciated. %-) The confusion on the gender and addy is because, in some cases, partners both use a single addy and you can't really be sure which one you're talking to. There are also a couple of addys that are odd enough that you can't be sure which bender the person is, Bob the builder comes to mind.
If you do any turning, you may want to take a look at news:rec.crafts.woodturning as well. A number of the people her on both NGs.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Why not? :-)

Spam doesn't bother me. I just delete it and the email addy I am using for newsgroups is not my ISP email addy so it is no problem.

Thanks. I've never done any turning at all but I will have a look.
Jaime wrote:

Sorry about that, but glad you're back. Pull up a chair. I'm guessing, again, that you say it "Jamie" rather than "Himey".
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Yes. It is pronounced in that way. In fact it is spelled J-a-m-i-e on my birth certificate but I happen to like the look of the other spelling better. It seems more feminine to me.
Oh yes....thanks.
<posted & mailed>
Jaime wrote:

Dude, chill out. You haven't offended anyone. We're *teasing* you. It has long been the practice here on the Wreck (ie rec.woodworking) to tell someone how much he sucks when he has a "gloat." The original poster in this thread most assuredly has a gloat. By telling him how much he sucks, we reaffirm how gloatable his gloat is, and make him feel all warm and fuzzy and stuff. It's all part of the Wreck culture, and things have been done this way for years. Getting told you suck is about the highest honor we can offer.
You are *not* obligated to participate in this silliness. Many don't. Loving wood and woodworking is a great thing. We all do. We also give each other a hard time. Like the way Larry Jaques is always ranting about the evils of staining walnut or using poly, and the way I'm always singling him out and giving him a hard time about everything for no particular reason. We're a bunch of smart alecks. JOAT is one of the smarteyest alecks of all, although I don't guess we've ever had a contest to determine who is actually the smarteyest aleck of all. Hell, it might be me. Or Larry Jacques. It's probably Larry. Definitely. Definitely Larry. See, there I go singling him out again, and somewhere in the Pacific northwest the guy is scratching his head and wondering what he did to deserve another assault on his character. :) (At least I finally learned how to spell his name right.) Anyway...
You walked into the middle of that, and we were trying to show you the ropes, so to speak, in a humorous fashion. You seem to have taken it completely the wrong way. So chill out, calm down, and hang out a bit. I've been online in one fashion or another for years (almost as long as there was an online to hang out in, but not quite), and I've hung out in too many different places to count. The Wreck is special. I think even if I sold all my wood mangling equipment tomrorow and decided to take up cat grooming for a hobby, I'd still hang out here just for all the discussion among friends that only tangenitally relates to wood.
Nobody can make you stay, and you're free to go as you please. Just please don't fly off in a snit because we poked you in the ribs. The key to this whole thing is that you shouldn't take anything too seriously unless it's safety. Republicans and Democrats, Christians and Pagans, young and old, male and female, Sawstop advocates and Sawstop detractors, shellac users and Minwhacks poly-izers, Normites and Royds, the one thing we all always agree on is the importance of keeping all your body parts in working order, and on trying to keep the red stuff inside where it belongs.
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 01:08:32 -0500, Silvan

I'm a *lady* . :-)

I get *it* now.

Thanks for explaining it. It's appreciated.

I probably won't but I will tell a guy if I think he has some nice wood. :-)

Count me as one of those people too. :-)

Must be a guy thing (no offense to the male species btw)

Yes, yes I did.

I'll just take that chair in the corner. It looks comfy. :-)

The discussions look good. I've been reading them almost 24/7 since I got here (except for the few hours yesterday when I was at the Hamilton woodworking show)

I'm still here. Just don't call me a *dude* again. Geeeze. I am *all* female. ;-)

Of course!! I agree with you there.

Works for me and thanks for explaining things.
Now onto more woodtalk. :-)

Hmmmmmm...
Careful - that's where Silvan sits and he suffers an occasional spell of incontenance...

We'll be the judge of that. Post GIFs over on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking and we'll just have a little look see now...