wood gloat...

my next door neighbor is moving to warmer climes.... he's 85.... and a

*retired* woodowrker.... i have already asked about his tools, but his kids have gotten most of them....oh well..... but he is giving me all his old wood.... while most of it will heat the doiwnstairs (in the fire)... he did have some nice walnut, cherry and maple pieces. mostly thin... approx 1/2 inch... but enough of it to make some nice projects.... my question is... i have never really worked with walnut or hickory.... is there anything special to finishing this wood ? i am sure that SWMBO will come up with some project to use the wood.... so i may as well ask now.... she has that look in her eye...

thanx......

Reply to
WARRENRN1

Nothing trickey with walnut. It will look great when you apply a finish. A word of caution though, compared to Oak, Walnut is relative soft IMHO and it will easily ding if you are not careful with it.

Reply to
Leon

Naw... Any good latex paint will do.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

can only guess that you put ketchup on a good t-bone steak too...pine or poplar for you...

Reply to
Tom Kohlman

Nothing wrong with jummy wood, but I do like walnut (I've done some small boxes and ornaments with it) and am currently working on a coffee table that will be a combo of oak and some old softwood that I think is fir (recycled from a very old table).

Seriously, I typically finish hardwood with tung oil and paste wax.

And for the steak, it's HP sauce.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

...even HP is a foul (I come from a long line of meat people and they turn over in their graves enough as it is...if you don't like the taste of plain beef, order chicken) but please no latex paint on oak or walnut.

Reply to
Tom Kohlman

Tom Kohlman responds:

I always like the people who love the taste of---insert game type---and can't wait to get some. Cook it until it's rigid, then coat it with salsa and keep going, "Mmmmmmmmmmm, great!"

Charlie Self "A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." Mark Twain

Charlie Self

I suppose you don't even use salt? Heck, why even cook the stuff? Why even skin the cow? Just walk out into the pasture and chow down!

;-)

You're built too low to the ground, Tom... The fast ones go over your head!

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

What's HP sauce? I cringe whenever my wife puts ketchup or A1 on her steak, especially since I usually pick out the cuts we eat.

What a waste of a good cut of meat.

Joe

Reply to
BIG JOE

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

"Charlie Self"

That reminds me of an old Carp recipe. Catch a Carp, and nail the whole thing on to a board. Put both in the oven and bake at 500 degrees for 5 hours. Then remove both from the oven, remove the Carp and throw it away. Eat the board.

Reply to
Leon

Sorta like cooking a cormorant, 'cept with a board instead of a brick, and a carp instead of a cormorant.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

...damn...I've been found out on my beef eating habits (hidden cameras everywhere I guess...I knew I should of stayed away from that funny looking hay bale). But I'll repeat, no latex paint on oak or walnut...oil-base paint works much better.

Reply to
Tom Kohlman

LOL!

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

They you can apply one of those "antiquing kits" to add some wood grain to make it look authentic. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If you're good with those paints, you can make walnut look just like birch.

Reply to
Silvan

I've never seen that product for sale around here. Must be a regional thing.

Reply to
BIG JOE

Sears sells one in a walnut color.

sheeesh. j4

Reply to
jo4hn

Dunno where "round here" is but it'a available across Canada and I have friends on both the east and west US coasts that use it.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

On 5 Feb 2004 06:33:18 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@execpc.com (BIG JOE) scribbled:

A little more than regional. It's your region that is deprived.

likes HP on his chips (fries, Keith) instead of mayo or vinegar.

Note the new email address. Please adjust your krillfiles (tmAD) accordingly Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi