repair glue joint spilts in "butcher block"

I bought a maple top to build a workbench and stored it standing on end. The end on the floor has absorbed moisture and split 3-6 inches on 4 glue lines. What is the best repair? Please help. Thanks

Reply to
BErney1014

Howdy,

I cannot tell you what is best, but I can tell you what I have done with a similar maple top:

I ripped the boards through the failed joint, jointed them, and reglued. The results were good as new (maybe better ).

Good luck with it,

Reply to
Kenneth

Yah, same here, tear it apart, joint and reglue. Then put a finsh on it damn it!

Reply to
markm

Ouch, that damn thing weighs about a 100 pounds. It came with a finish not worth a cent. I picked up some 8/4 stock to widen the top and add a tool recess since I'll be cutting it apart. I'll reglue with waterproof glue or poly. Thanks

Reply to
BErney1014