Cherry Deal (Ultra gloat!!!)

[reposting, last try never seemed to post]

I just bought 11,000 board feet of (mostly) Cherry for (approx) $1.10 per bf

Older guy had it stored in a shed for 10+ years. We estimated it was about 8,000 bf and struck a deal at $1.50 a bf. We both realized during the 4 hours it took three of us to load it in a 24' truck that we had underestimated. We assumed to two huge stacks were all 8' boards but about 25% of them were 10 footers. He didn't ask to change the estimate. Stacked in my shop (after a 4 hour load out with 4 guys) I measuerd the stacks at 11,000 bf.

All select and better 6" minimum width (with a few skinny sticks also), mostly 8" wide and lots up to 12" wide. Mostly 5/4. A little

4/4 and some 6/4.

Mixed in is close to 1,000 bf of Quarter Sawn White oak SLABS mostly

8/4, some 6/4, all 8 footers from a 8" to 14" wide.

Whoo hooo. Guess I am building with Cherry for quite a while. Pics

SonomaProducts.com

That is a great deal. ^5

Maybe sometime in the future, you can make him some sort of token project and gift it to him. Friends, as that, are good to keep in contact with.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

The guy was flipping high end houses 10-12 years ago and using lots of Cherry. He decided to start a molding business and bought this wood as part of his start-up. Then had some issues and never started the business. The wood sat in the same shed since that time.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Congratulations.

Reply to
Swingman

I found a guy in Coffeyville about a month ago who handles as many as

15 different hardwoods. His standard price is $1.90/board foot and this includes: Walnut, Red & White Oak, some quarter-sawn White Oak, Cherry, Ash, Kentucky Coffee, etc, etc. He sells Poplar for $1. All is air-dried.

He also sells slabs and gunstock blanks. I purchased a 2-3/8" x 18" x 46" slab of black walnut from him for $50 and felt pretty good about it. But he gets premium money for his gunstock blanks ($80 - $300+) and these are rough cut chunks of figured wood, mostly walnut, that he rubs with oil for stabilization. The buyer does everything else.

Have fun with your Cherry. You need some LARGE projects!

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Agreed! I don't know what's worse, 11,000 Bd/Ft of cherry or being able to spend > $11,000 on lumber at one time.

Reply to
Nova

'Cept he's gonna stain, poly, and/or paint most of it.

-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air? -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

When you have that much lumber at that price, you can paint it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

One could paint gold or platinum, too, but it just ain't couth.

-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air? -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Maybe, but poplar costs near double what he paid for the cherry.

In spite of what my wife says, I gots lots of couth. I go so much couth it is coming out my xxx

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I doesn't matter. It's the principle of the thing, y'heathen.

And I'm humble, and PROUD of it.

-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air? -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

But I still have most of a gallon of white latex paint.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Or use it for shed framing or in place of secondary woods...

...anything in a pinch!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Hell, firewood costs that much.

Reply to
Robatoy

Do your shop floor.

-- Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai

Reply to
Larry Jaques

RonB wrote in news:6bea31e9-a3b1-4279-9717- snipped-for-privacy@k10g2000yqk.googlegroups.com:

Hey Ron -- Is that Coffeyville KS? I'd like contact info. I've been looking for a wood source in the area for awhile. Thanks.

Reply to
notImpressed