Wood Gloat, Episode II

EPISODE TWO: Then, this week's classifieds had this ad:

"Door and Window Company Going Out Of Business Sale. Tools, Mouldings. Oak, Walnut, and Cherry Lumber. Exterior entry and patio doors. Many office desks, chairs, lateral files, drawing table, printers, and more. Weekdays only, 8-5. Cash and Carry."

Oh, I thought, this is too freakin' good to be true. Headed over there yesterday morning. The woman running the office says, "You'll have to talk to Ray - he's in charge." But she started telling me about some of the stuff that had already gone, like most of the cherry, and the jatoba that he'd sold already for $3.50 a foot (I nearly cried at the thought of missing that). So I meet Ray, who's the owner. He leads me around shop, just showing me what's available. What's available? Stacks and stacks of lumber. Stacks. Mountains.

I saw TONS of walnut, oak (mostly white) - he showed me a whole industrial cart laden with rift and quartered WO, and about a half-dozen other carts of similar. Most of the lumber of all species was big - he had walnut that had to have been 14 feet long. It was amazing. And it was all at least S3S. A few dozen solid six-panel doors of various woods. Lots of solid wood cabinet doors. A stack of fir in 12-16' lengths and longer at least 8 feet tall. Ipe lumber, mahogany flooring, both for $0.75 /LF. Hardwood plywood, moldings, casings and baseboards in a half-dozen species....my friends, it was woodlust gone mad.

If I had a place to store it all, I think I'd have spent twice what I did, which was too much already - $300. I drove off with a lot of 8/4 white and red oak, about 30BF of 4/4 cherry, and two hard maple slabs, one of which is

6/4"x10"x9'3, the other is 5/4"x12"x6'. Think I might go back for the ipe, since he only wanted 75 cents a foot for it...might even look at that mahogany flooring.

Jason

Reply to
Jason Quick

[snip of stuff that makes me whine...

You suck. And I need to get out more. grumble, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:49:36 -0500, the inscrutable "Jason Quick" spake:

OK, this one confirms, without a doubt, that YOU SUCK! ---------

You double-suck!

========================================================= Save the Whales +

the whole set! + Website design and graphics =========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Jeez Jason, if you have an episode III just keep it to yourself please :)

Reply to
Mike in Arkansas

"Jason Quick" told a tall tale of wood acquisition

Are you making this up?

Are you deliberately trying to torture us?

Have you no shame?

Forgive me, I do not feel well this morning.

Greed and envy will do that to you....

Reply to
Lee Michaels

What torture!

You don't have enough money or storage space for all of it, so why don't you tell the rest of us where it is. That would at least give some of us a chance to get what you left behind. Or are you holding out just in case you can borrow money from relatives to go back and claim what's left.

If you don't tell us, we should consider "banishment or something worse".

Reply to
Charley