GLOAT

I got tipped off by my son, who is a sales rep for a lumber mill, that they where going to get rid of their "exotic" lumber. Seems that the boss has a hard time passing up a great deal. He has 18 containers of red oak flooring comming in and nowhere to put it. Guess he got a great price. Any way I got to the mill nice and early this morning, and scored bigtime. He had 4 bundles of wood for sale at $200 a bundle. I got the biggest one. turns out there was about 500 board feet of various type of wood. Cocobolo, Birdseye Maple, Birch, Mahagony, Walnut, Bubinga,Canarywood,Ipe, and a couple of others I havn't figured out yet. Nothing under 7'. Some of the best stuff was

12 footers. About 15 8/4 and rest 4/4. All S2S. Needless to say I'm a happy camper. Unfortunatly(or fortunatly some) I'm just starting to learn about woodworking, so some of this will be resold. I'd post some pictures, but the last time I did, I got nothing but flack about the format,or some crap, that some people couldn't see them. So take a look at
Vidkid26

Nice haul !

If you post pictures, just keep the size modest (about 100 to 150K) and use a JPG format that anyone can open, not yEnc that most of us cannot open easily.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Now thats a nice gloat!!

I have a wood rack that needs some replenishing, send some my way!! Should give you hours of enjoyment.

Reply to
Lee Tollett

You hereby sucketh to the maximus, bubba!

Congratulations and thanks for registering your gloat.

Be advised that while registered gloats have their privileges, they also have their responsibilities, and it is our duty to inform you that you must now pay particular attention to the requirements enumerated below:

You must fully understand that by posting this GLOAT with capital letters you are henceforth prohibited from any future sale of same. It is also your responsibility to insure that SWMBO, her heirs and assigns, understand this requirement completely and that they are bound by same in perpetuity.

As a classified, registered, suck worthy, fair dinkum GLOAT, should you, your heirs or assigns, decide to dispose of said GLOAT, or any portion thereof, by sale, you shall be required to send JOAT one e-mail receipt for _each_ dollar value of said sale, along with the usual 50% cabal tax ... trust us, you don't wanna do that.

Some of these requirements may be modified by posting pictures of projects made from material contained in said GLOAT on ABPW, with the exception that those pieces made in the style known as "Mission", or "Arts and Crafts", are hereby prohibited and do NOT qualify under the mitigating and extenuating provisions hereof.)

Now, should you want to give/gift some away hereabouts, strictly for health reasons, we'll understand.

Enjoy your GLOAT!

Reply to
Swingman

Off topic: FYI, yEnc is a compression format for any type of binary file and is exclusive to Usenet. JPG is an image format that is compressed. A JPG image can be uploaded and downloaded faster when using yEnc compression. They are two completely different animals. It is your Outlook Express that is the problem. Imagine everyone requesting images be uploaded as BMP files (which are uncompressed and huge by comparison) just because they do not have a viewer that can open a JPG file. Embrace technology, don't try to make others conform to your old software.

Reply to
Ike

| FYI, yEnc is a compression format for any type of binary file and is | exclusive to Usenet. JPG is an image format that is compressed. A | JPG image can be uploaded and downloaded faster when using yEnc | compression. They are two completely different animals. It is your | Outlook Express that is the problem. Imagine everyone requesting | images be uploaded as BMP files (which are uncompressed and huge by | comparison) just because they do not have a viewer that can open a | JPG file. Embrace technology, don't try to make others conform to | your old software.

FYI, this has been discussed before (several times). Typically the yEnc advocate has been a script kiddy browser elitist who seemed to feel that the technology used was more important than the communication.

Personally, I embrace technology whole-heartedly and just love Mosaic!

Morris Dovey

Okay, then I will try to communcate more clearly.

See Dick. See Dick post. Post, post, post. See all the huge posts. ;)

Reply to
Ike

Sun, Aug 12, 2007, 9:55am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) doth adviseth thusly: As a classified, registered, suck worthy, fair dinkum GLOAT, should you, your heirs or assigns, decide to dispose of said GLOAT, or any portion thereof, by sale, you shall be required to send JOAT one e-mail receipt for _each_ dollar value of said sale, along with the usual 50% cabal tax ... trust us, you don't wanna do that.

Yep, that sounds pretty official alright. However, you'll be further along, with the Woodworking Gods, in the end, if you just send along a small selecon of woods to them. Three or four decent pieces will do nicely, they aren't greedy. Don't try this at home, that will only piss them off. As their High Priest, just send it in care of me, I take care of all administrative affairs like that for them. Better safe than sorry.

JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

Too bad you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about.

'yEnc' is _not_ a 'compression' format -- in fact, "by definition", a yEncode-processed binary file *never* smaller than the 'original', and is usually _larger_ than the original. I guess you _could _call it " 'compression format' with NEGATIVE efficiency". :)

'yEnc' is _not_ a defined standard, unlike MIME 'base64' which _does_ have an international standard specification.

yEnc-encoded files are _useless_ if there is *any* server _anywhere_ in the path between sender and recipient which is not '8-bit clean'. There is *NO*

*guarantee* that all servers _are_ 8-bit clean.

The _only_ thing 'yEnc' has going for it is that it is "less inefficient' than other methods -- methods that WORK RELIABLY in situations where yEnc fails catastrophically.

There are trade-offs between the 'efficiency' of an encoding method, and it's 'robustness' in the face of communications 'obstacles'.

yEnc accomplishes it's 'less inefficient' strategy by simply 'ignoring' all the 'corner cases' where it's _assumptions_ are false to fact.

yEnc is 'ok' for those who "don't care" about reaching those on the 'fringes', "don't care" whether or not their picture is 'universally viewable', and think that *their* attitude is more important than the people who might want to look at their image.

For those _without_ an ego-trip attitude, using a UNIVERSALLY SUPPORTED _standard_ encoding scheme _is_ a better idea. And the fact is that supporting JPG (and GIF) is a _required_ part of the MIME standards.

If you use any standards-compliant "Mail and News" software, it is _guaranteed_ that that software supports 'base-64' encoded JPG files. The same cannot be said for BMP files, nor _anything_ that is 'yEnc' encoded.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

IIRC, doesn't this require a sacrifice to the woodworking gods? Somebody, bring me a virgin

While you're at it, bring something along to sactifice, too!

Glen

Reply to
Glen

Sun, Aug 19, 2007, 2:51am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com (Glen) doth sayeth: IIRC, doesn't this require a sacrifice to the woodworking gods? Somebody, bring me a virgin While you're at it, bring something along to sactifice, too!

I believe you're thinking of someone's sig. The Woodworking Gods pretty much take what they can get. However, if you happen to have a slightly-used virgin female you can do without, they would greatly appreciate it, especially if she likes doing housework. That's human female by the way, you guys can keep the goats.