The gloat that got away

Page 1 of 2
Yesterday I am checking the clearance center at Lowes for power tools...
They have a new in box Hitachi set:
18v drill 18V recip saw 18V circular saw 18v flash light charger ONLY 1 battery and tool bag
price marked down from teh 16th was 145.00
I called wife and told her what I wanted for christmas and she was across the street. Wife doesn't go buy, instead buys DIGITAL CAMERA for her Mother and Step DAD for $300.00
SO she feels bad and tells me to go get it tonight.. GONE..
Walk around to tool section, retail price for the set with TWO batteries is
FOUR HUNDRED EIGHTY SEVEN DOLLARS!! $487.00 on the shelf..
I'm gonna regret THAT decision for a LONG time.. Next time I just buy the damn thing!
The silver lining, they have dewalt hammer drills cordless starting on the markdown latter. Which is what I really want, but DAMN that was a nice set for $145.00
Alan
Well, as it were, you could have sucked, you almost sucked, but you didn't quite make the grade of genuinly sucking.
sorry bud.
Alex

And that really sucks.
Kevin

OK, I have to ask. Why didn't you just buy it when you saw it?
Edwin Pawlowski said:

OK, I have to ask. You aren't married, are ya? ;-)
Greg G.
<Greg G.> wrote in message

Married 38 years. Same woman even.
I don't have to get permission to spend money, nor does she. We know what is available to spend.
Edwin said

Married 27 years - She never complains about my tools and I don't complain about her jewlery!
Dave

I do NOT want an argument - but we talk to each other before big purchases out of (a) respect and (b) make sure we're not putting two in at the same time.
Edwin Pawlowski said:

Jeez, didn't mean to start a war... Notice the smiley... I also generally buy what I need, especially if it's heavily discounted. But many of my friends feel the need to consult with the other half before making large purchases - for whatever reason.
Of course, $150 ain't exactly big bucks...
Greg G.
<Greg G.> wrote in message

My reply was not personal to you, just a general observation. How many times do you see guys not able to buy a simple thing because they don't have permission from their wives? If I wanted/needed permission for everything I want to do, I'd have married my mother or first grade teacher.
Marriage should be about co-operation, not control. I have my spending money, she has hers and we don't question each others motives etc. Major purchases should be discussed or agreed upon, of course, if they will upset the general bill paying fund or require a long term loan like a car.
Take a big buy for a toy, like a table saw or a sewing machine. Not a question of "can I?". but a question of "when can I?" because it may get delayed because I'm going to have some car repairs done for a couple hundred bucks or a weekend away takes some extra cash. That is just sensible money management and good communications.

have
upset
hundred
That's a description for having "cojones" and "brains", good for you!! :-)

have
upset
hundred
Well put. Pretty much how it operates at our house. Only differance is I don't nessarily ask the missus "when can I", I know that answer on my own. I just tell her in case she has something on her mind that she wants to blow the budget with!
Some what related...... This summer my daughter decided she had enough of the lakes and boating. The missus said if the kid is not interested neither was she. Well, if neither of them won't go, I dont'd see myself boating alone, so the boat is for sale. Then my Honda motorcycle is for sale too. I told the missus that the procedes from the boat and bike are a down payment for a new Harley Davidson. I have been dreaming about one for a couple of years, looks like next summer I will quit dreaming. She was a little aprehensive about the purchase untill she sat down and decided where the cash is comming from. Then a trip this fall to the HD dealer to test drive a couple of bike finished off the decision making process. She found one SHE likes! Good thing, I like it too! It was kinda fun to see her pumped up about getting it to! The missus has been showing friends the pictures of the bike that SHE picked out! Greg
calmly ranted:

Definitely related: check out the bottom two pics on my site titled "Mahogany Gloat". http://diversify.com/wood / I feel like I've been rode hard and put up wet.

New? Tres gauche. ;) Why not have Orange County Choppers make one for you? They're only half again more than a new one.

Cool.
--
"If the promise of the Declaration of Independence is ever to be fulfilled,
it will be the Libertarian Party which fulfills it. If the Constitution is
Edwin Pawlowski said:

LMAO, that's OK - I understand. Many of my friends have small children at home, and large expenditures made without consultation are the source of many a heated arguments. I guess when you have children at home, work for a fixed salary, and the wife is a homemaker, all the available funds get redirected from woodworking [insert personal interest here] to emergency pediatric medical care bills and college savings accounts.
My take on College is: parents didn't send me to college, get a job and send yourself - you'll appreciate it more and may even learn something besides Partying 101 and Slacker 201. ;-)
FWIW,
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote in message

Here's a proven trick: Hand it to her and say with boundless glee: "I got you my Christmas present dear, and look, it was XX% off!" If you sense a negative reaction, looks sad and say: "I've still got the receipt, so I could take it back if it'll make you happy."
My guess is seeing a man this pathetic forces the pity reflex to kick in. When not done too often, the pity level can offset the anger level and result in a net increase in power tool level.
Tim Christmas 2002: 1/2" Dewalt drill, 40% off Birthday 2003: Porter Cable finish nailer, 60% off Christmas 2003: Ridgid oscillating belt sander (old color), 60% off Still waiting for anything at Lee Valley to qualify...
<Greg G.> wrote in message

What does that have to do with it? I buy what I want, when I want! That said I am a fairly cheap SOB! I don't spend money easily, the missus is the same way. Every so often she drags something home that she needs without checking with me, and likewise for myself. I have never consulted her with a tool purchase, I jusy go buy it! Last fall over $800 in tools followed me home, not one word from her other than she wanted to see what I had bought and what it was for. Last year we were shopping at Lowes for something and I spied a DW733 when they were closing them out, told my wife it was a good deal and she went to get a cart without me asking her to do it! Greg

If she's anything like mine, she just didn't want to drag you through the rest of the store whimpering 'can I have it, can I, can I?' . :o)

LOL!! Not me, but it sounds like a guy I work with! Greg
Lobby Dosser wrote:

ROTFLMAO!!!!
Unfortunately, I'm bitch-slapped with regards to WW purchases so I get to enjoy the humour from the "sounds familiar" side of the fence.
I have just come to accept that the wife is better with money than I am - my view is "it's in the bank, I can spend it" hers is "it won't be in the bank because we have X, Y and Z coming up and WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU'VE ALREADY ORDERED IT?!!!"
(of course with first child just under two and now another on the way money is a bit tighter than I'd like)
Cheers,
Andy
Andy Jeffries writes:

Hang in there, man. Something like 4 or 5 years after college, most of them get out on their own. In about 27, 28 years, you'll have some spare bucks.
Course your sanity may be a little ragged around the edges.
Charlie Self "When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary." Thomas Paine