The gloat that got away

If she's anything like mine, she just didn't want to drag you through the rest of the store whimpering 'can I have it, can I, can I?' . :o)

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Not me, but it sounds like a guy I work with! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Jeez, didn't mean to start a war... Notice the smiley... I also generally buy what I need, especially if it's heavily discounted. But many of my friends feel the need to consult with the other half before making large purchases - for whatever reason.

Of course, $150 ain't exactly big bucks...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

My reply was not personal to you, just a general observation. How many times do you see guys not able to buy a simple thing because they don't have permission from their wives? If I wanted/needed permission for everything I want to do, I'd have married my mother or first grade teacher.

Marriage should be about co-operation, not control. I have my spending money, she has hers and we don't question each others motives etc. Major purchases should be discussed or agreed upon, of course, if they will upset the general bill paying fund or require a long term loan like a car.

Take a big buy for a toy, like a table saw or a sewing machine. Not a question of "can I?". but a question of "when can I?" because it may get delayed because I'm going to have some car repairs done for a couple hundred bucks or a weekend away takes some extra cash. That is just sensible money management and good communications.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That's a description for having "cojones" and "brains", good for you!! :-)

Reply to
f/256

There you go. We are in a society where a whole heck of a lot of people have the wherewithal to buy all sorts of stuff on a whim and then barely use it before they get tired of it, so it's only a matter of time and some searching before you can fall into almost anything (my rationalization, anyway..).

Have you considered the possibility that *she* bought the set & is going to make it your Christmas present ?

Reply to
GregP

Well put. Pretty much how it operates at our house. Only differance is I don't nessarily ask the missus "when can I", I know that answer on my own. I just tell her in case she has something on her mind that she wants to blow the budget with!

Some what related...... This summer my daughter decided she had enough of the lakes and boating. The missus said if the kid is not interested neither was she. Well, if neither of them won't go, I dont'd see myself boating alone, so the boat is for sale. Then my Honda motorcycle is for sale too. I told the missus that the procedes from the boat and bike are a down payment for a new Harley Davidson. I have been dreaming about one for a couple of years, looks like next summer I will quit dreaming. She was a little aprehensive about the purchase untill she sat down and decided where the cash is comming from. Then a trip this fall to the HD dealer to test drive a couple of bike finished off the decision making process. She found one SHE likes! Good thing, I like it too! It was kinda fun to see her pumped up about getting it to! The missus has been showing friends the pictures of the bike that SHE picked out! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 15:19:08 -0500, "Greg O" calmly ranted:

Definitely related: check out the bottom two pics on my site titled "Mahogany Gloat".

feel like I've been rode hard and put up wet.

New? Tres gauche. ;) Why not have Orange County Choppers make one for you? They're only half again more than a new one.

Cool.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Or it may be like my wife and I...we have an amount that we are absolutely free to spend to without consultation or any other type of talk...over that amount, we ask...it's about communication. How much is that amount for us? Doesn't matter, really, what matters would be the amount for the OP...if the OP has this setup, it might be that their budget allows for $125 "discretionary" spending, then the $145 is over it, so you call.

Just my cut on the matter.

Mike

Reply to
The Davenports

LMAO, that's OK - I understand. Many of my friends have small children at home, and large expenditures made without consultation are the source of many a heated arguments. I guess when you have children at home, work for a fixed salary, and the wife is a homemaker, all the available funds get redirected from woodworking [insert personal interest here] to emergency pediatric medical care bills and college savings accounts.

My take on College is: parents didn't send me to college, get a job and send yourself - you'll appreciate it more and may even learn something besides Partying 101 and Slacker 201. ;-)

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

Unfortunately, I'm bitch-slapped with regards to WW purchases so I get to enjoy the humour from the "sounds familiar" side of the fence.

I have just come to accept that the wife is better with money than I am

- my view is "it's in the bank, I can spend it" hers is "it won't be in the bank because we have X, Y and Z coming up and WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU'VE ALREADY ORDERED IT?!!!"

(of course with first child just under two and now another on the way money is a bit tighter than I'd like)

Cheers,

Andy

Reply to
Andy Jeffries

Hang in there, man. Something like 4 or 5 years after college, most of them get out on their own. In about 27, 28 years, you'll have some spare bucks.

Course your sanity may be a little ragged around the edges.

Charlie Self "When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary." Thomas Paine

Reply to
Charlie Self

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m15.aol.com:

Amen to that!

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Yabut, if you have a daughter or two, be prepared for the inevitable weddings. After the oldest got married this past June, I'll likely be in debt for that one until the youngest get out of college in another four years, then a highly probable dejavu all over again.

But I did find out last week that I am going to be a grandpa ...

Reply to
Swingman

What? You had children without them signing a contract without a sanity clause? j4 (aka groucho)

Reply to
jo4hn