The gloat that got away

Yesterday I am checking the clearance center at Lowes for power tools...

They have a new in box Hitachi set:

18v drill 18V recip saw 18V circular saw 18v flash light charger ONLY 1 battery and tool bag

price marked down from teh 16th was 145.00

I called wife and told her what I wanted for christmas and she was across the street. Wife doesn't go buy, instead buys DIGITAL CAMERA for her Mother and Step DAD for $300.00

SO she feels bad and tells me to go get it tonight.. GONE..

Walk around to tool section, retail price for the set with TWO batteries is

FOUR HUNDRED EIGHTY SEVEN DOLLARS!! $487.00 on the shelf..

I'm gonna regret THAT decision for a LONG time.. Next time I just buy the damn thing!

The silver lining, they have dewalt hammer drills cordless starting on the markdown latter. Which is what I really want, but DAMN that was a nice set for $145.00

Alan

Reply to
Alan W

Well, as it were, you could have sucked, you almost sucked, but you didn't quite make the grade of genuinly sucking.

sorry bud.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

OK, I have to ask. Why didn't you just buy it when you saw it?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Suck close, yet suck far.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

And that really sucks.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig

OK, I have to ask. You aren't married, are ya? ;-)

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

Look at it this way, a cordless drill is very useful. You already have a flashlight. Cordless saws are useless foo-foo in the wood shop. You'll survive, if you rationalize it properly. Too bad about the tool bag, though.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

"I have to ask my wife", "I have to consult with SWMBO", "if my boss allows it", "my better half has to give me the go ahead", etc, etc. I am just a lurker here, but I do participate in many NGs and it is the same sad story all the time. Now, I have never read a female writing: "I have to consult with HWMAB (he who must always obey)"!!

Don't we guys have any cojones?

Next time just buy the damn thing!! you can always return it later anyway ;-)

Reply to
f/256

Married 38 years. Same woman even.

I don't have to get permission to spend money, nor does she. We know what is available to spend.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Here's a proven trick: Hand it to her and say with boundless glee: "I got you my Christmas present dear, and look, it was XX% off!" If you sense a negative reaction, looks sad and say: "I've still got the receipt, so I could take it back if it'll make you happy."

My guess is seeing a man this pathetic forces the pity reflex to kick in. When not done too often, the pity level can offset the anger level and result in a net increase in power tool level.

Tim Christmas 2002: 1/2" Dewalt drill, 40% off Birthday 2003: Porter Cable finish nailer, 60% off Christmas 2003: Ridgid oscillating belt sander (old color), 60% off Still waiting for anything at Lee Valley to qualify...

Reply to
tim124c41

18 Volt flashlights are extremely bright and come in very handy when car camping. No need to buy batteries either. Not so good for backpacking.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Edwin said

Married 27 years - She never complains about my tools and I don't complain about her jewlery!

Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

I use my cordless saw as much as my all corded added together.  Do all my rough trim right on the back of the truck with the cordless then carry the wood into the shop in small sizes so its easier to carry.

Reply to
Eugene

That's really too bad: it was a great deal. At the same time, I've told myself that I am never going to regret not buying something.

Reply to
GregP

GregP wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

There MIGHT be a silver lining,, The 6 year old slipped I might be having a really nice Christmas. My Wife has never been real smart about being sneaky, but MAYBE this time..

Alan

Reply to
A Womack

Are you competing in the same tournament as Owen Lowe by any chance?

Reply to
Wood Butcher

Had to check with Momma first! I would have just bought the sucker! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

What does that have to do with it? I buy what I want, when I want! That said I am a fairly cheap SOB! I don't spend money easily, the missus is the same way. Every so often she drags something home that she needs without checking with me, and likewise for myself. I have never consulted her with a tool purchase, I jusy go buy it! Last fall over $800 in tools followed me home, not one word from her other than she wanted to see what I had bought and what it was for. Last year we were shopping at Lowes for something and I spied a DW733 when they were closing them out, told my wife it was a good deal and she went to get a cart without me asking her to do it! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I do NOT want an argument - but we talk to each other before big purchases out of (a) respect and (b) make sure we're not putting two in at the same time.

Reply to
patrick conroy