Tape measure with 0 tolerance hook?

Are there measuring tapes that dont have loosely riveted end hooks? These seem to have a 1/16 or so movement so different measurements can be had if pushing or pulling on the end. Any experience here? thanks
the hook's travel is equal to the thickness of the hook. If the hook were riveted without this movement, inside and outside measurements would be different by the thickness of the hook.
hth,
Joe C.

1. The end hook is supposed to move. If you press or pull the end up against something, it compensates for the the thickness of the hook itself and gives you an accurate measurement either way.
2. trs80? Model I, III, IV, or something else?
V8013-R

Well, there are hook rules or rulers, but they're not very long. Tom
I have one. I bought it at Woodcrafters. It's only good for outside measurement but that is what 99% of my in shop measurements are. It's also flat and wraps around curves and lays where I put it, and it has a story pole on it where I can pencil in whatever I want. I use it as my primary tape rule in the shop. http://www.fastcap.com/prod2.asp?page=procarp_flat
A word of caution: check that the end is riveted square to the tape. The first one I got wasn't and I had to make another trip exchange it.
Art

Probably however if you really want one that does not work properly you can disable this function by putting the hook where you want it, taking a flat faced punch and hammer and whacking the rivets that attach the hook.

No, I can't imagine why you'd want one. Actually, you'd need two, one for inside, one for outside measuring. Think about how it functions and you will see thee is a reason for it.

Some of us are actually intelligent enough to remember the tape measure's off by a certain amount on one measurement type or another and do the calculation to correct the measurement. I do it all the time when I start measuring at "3" and not "0."
Some of us are also dumb enough to forget to do it. ;-)
Puckdropper

Ahh, but you're forgetting that most of us don't have an absolutely perfect memory like you and being the imperfect beings that we are, we occasionally forget to account for the difference. I'm ashamed to admit that I'm one of those imperfect people, but I do aspire to the ultimate perfection that you've obtained. What is it like to never ever forget anything? You must be a very special person.
wrote in message

Didn't you read the second paragraph? You trimmed it out, so that little bit of context is removed. It was important to the writing style.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaphora
Puckdropper

You're right, I missed it. Guess I really am one of those imperfect beings. :)

If the hook doesn't move, and is for example fixed to provide accurate outside measurements, it will be off by the thickness of the hook for all inside measurements. Just remember, always pull when the hook is hooked push when it is butted up to something.
Or are you setting a hook of your own?

thanks for the input

Oh Yeah, DOH,
Fastcap makes a tape measure with a stationary hook. this tape measure is sold at Woodcraft and Rockler IIRC.
Fast Cap makes several tape measures with special features.
This particular tape measure has an absolutely flat tape that lays flat and or easily wraps around a circular object like a column. It makes laying out marks marginally easier.
Because the tape is flat you CANNOT extend the tape with out holding it in position it is limp and will bend and star to fall the instant it begins to protrude out of the case. Because it will not extend like a normal tape measure, it has no need for the hook to move to compensate for inside measurements. This is strictly an outside measurement devise.
Called the Pro Carpenter Flat Back http://www.fastcap.com/prod2.asp?page=procarp_flat

Leon
Thanks for explaining why it is fixed. I recently got this tape and find the lay flat feature nice, but in the shop you occasionally want to measure the inside dimensions of a cabinet that is within arm's length or the distance from blade to fence. Each of those neccessitates compensating for the hook thickness (not much and at least it's constant). Also the STURDY end hook hides most of the measurement lines in the first inch of the blade. Otherwise it is a real nice product, just disappointed it is a little cludgy in these two situations and I wind up reaching for the other tape or rule instead.
Jerry

Yeah, I have that tape measure also and had not really noticed that the hook was fixed. I sorta wish you could turn the limp feature on and off. ;~)

Yes as I get older I wish for that feature also!
Jerry

and Amazon