New tape measure - odd 'feature'

HI Folks

I bought myself a new tape measure the other day. It has the usual ?sloppy rivet? arrangement at the ?hook? end - but this one also has a feature that I?d not seen before...

Is the metal protrusion on the left just a poorly-punched-out hole - or is it there a reason ? (before I take a hammer to it!)

Unless it's got a really clever purpose, I'd imagine it's going to affect 'inside' measurements....

Adrian

It isn't a magnet is it?

Reply to
Toby

Looks to me like a poorly punched hole but the back of it is still flush with the hook, so where has the metal sticking out the front come from? I suspect you'll find two discs in there if you whack it clear.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Funny you should ask - but it does appear to be a magnet..... though I can't for the life of me think what it's intended for....?

Regards Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Well I'm blowed - never seen one of those before !

Thanks! Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

I have an Axminster tape with the same feature. Handy I suppose - as long as there is something metallic for it to stick too.

I have found it handy for retrieving screws dropped whilst standing on a hop up. Saves getting off & picking them up :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Is the "sloppy rivet" as you describe it not there for a purpose to allow the end piece to move in and out depending on whether you are measuring an "outside" or an "inside" ? All measures have them .

Reply to
fictitious

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Yes - most of the wood I use isn't magnetic

Clearly a case of 'great minds thinking alike' - that was my first thought on discovering the magnetic tip...

..putting up a new fluorescent light in the studio yesterday - Lord only knows how many of the darn cable clips I've dropped - and this 'feature' might have made it easier to retrieve them

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

From other responses on this thread - looks as if this is a 'feature' rather than a 'defect' - though my first instinct was 'bad pressing'....

The photo isn't all that clear - but it looks as if the 'magnetic' piece is actually pressed into a hole in the tab - and checking with a ruler suggests that the datum for the tab is actually the front face of the raised disk....

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

I knew that - thanks !

It was the function of the other bit that I was querying.....

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Yes - so it seems.......

As Dave's pointed out - potentially useful for retrieving dropped 'things' in inaccessible places

The measure was one of those impulse purchases at the local Co-op - after ordering 10 big bales of peat compost for the polytunnel....

the measures are a semi-promo item - with the name / phone no of the Co-op on a label on the side - and, if you're as scatterbrained as I am with things you can never have too many tape measures

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

It was your use of the term " sloppy rivet" which suggested that you thought it should not be "sloppy" . I did manage to work out what you were really asking about .

Reply to
fictitious

Not so much inaccessable, just saves bending over :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

As I discovered with a clip round the ear when I was a kid having "mended" his with a hammer

Reply to
geoff

LOL

Reply to
fictitious

thousands of people work with steel and ironwork every day

Reply to
Phil L

Ahem, there might be children reading this group. ;-)

Reply to
Appelation Controlee

Ah. There you are then! Got to be so careful with those impulse purchases! :-)

Also isn't it annoying when the seller uses something you have paid good money for, to advertise.

Guess it's all right to have 'manufacturer's' name on something; that's taking responsibility for quality (or otherwise) of the product.

But for the retailer, who charges for it, seems out of line; even if it is at a loss leader price.

Reply to
terry