Sketup Question

Page 2 of 9

"Robatoy" wrote in message wrote:

Never miss an opportunity to slobber in the public trough, eh Bubba?
It's a crying damn shame that no one here can't discuss something they find useful without your constant, denigrating snide, input on the subject.
Kiss my ass ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

You DARE to call other people closed-minded.
You don't like to get called on your bullshit much, eh? :-)

You make sharper, better pencils sound like a bad thing. That's all anybody is ever looking for - a better, sharper pencil (tool/thing/ whatever). I don't expect the pencil to be my only tool, and neither would I expect any one program to get things done.
Someone could use almost any program to build a house. I could design a house and do the design drawings in Photoshop.
SketchUp can be made to sit, stay and speak if someone wants to invest the time. From the stuff you've posted it seems that you have found something that works for you. We should all be so lucky.

I certainly don't mean to imply that it is a bad thing and I don't think I did.

Exactly, to say that you can use SU to build a house does therefore not validate the software but the builder, who can use anything if he knows how to build a house in the first place. I have 20 years and thousands upon thousands of dollars invested in my software, yet I cannot design, much less build a boat. The software is very capable as a tool to a boat builder, but *I* cannot design/build a boat. Owning software with capability means dick. If my problems are such that my selection of software DOES solve them, then I am a happy camper. And I am.

SU is inadequate for my needs. That doesn't make me a bad person *plinks away a tear*

Luck didn't have much to do with it. Tenacity, hard work and some college courses in how to interface with the rest of the planet in terms of drawing/blueprint standards. On paper and in digital formats. I got into a proper discipline and stayed with it. Then when software that I could afford and could handle Non Uniform Rational Basis Splines came on the scene I was feeling pretty damn lucky then. Bolted onto a real rendering engine, again, the format exchange was crucial... and now the CNC is on line, even more so.
So yes, one can build a house with SU, but will it be a better house?
Exactly, to say that you can use SU to build a house does therefore not validate the software but the builder, who can use anything if he knows how to build a house in the first place. I have 20 years and thousands upon thousands of dollars invested in my software, yet I cannot design, much less build a boat. The software is very capable as a tool to a boat builder, but *I* cannot design/build a boat. Owning software with capability means dick. If my problems are such that my selection of software DOES solve them, then I am a happy camper. And I am.
You may be in luck with that boat, There are hundreds of design drawings of boats/ships for Sketchup. :~)
Snip
So yes, one can build a house with SU, but will it be a better house?
Not necessirilly better or worse as the same goes for AutoCAD or the like software. The more in tune with the software you are the better the results of the plans.
I think the point to designing suitable plans for building a house using Sketchup is simply that Sketchup is quite capable of fulfilling this need. More expensive programs that will do the same are simply more expensive programs that do the same.

When it comes to house-building, you're right.

Ultimately, it's you not the pencil that creates the design, but the better pencil has to fit into that cycle somewhere. If it help shorten or hone each creative iteration more finely, it's a better pencil.

Ironically, I find SU best for the other end of the work. Start with a blank "sheet", slap in the topography from Google Earth, and have at it. Or start with the bare, empty room, and block in the new cabinet. It isn't until you get down to detailing out your ideas that you run into its, ummm, limitations.

Depends on which other program, of course. With some, you do get something for the extra money. But none are as friendly as SU for the quick blocking in and massing studies. We'll just have to agree to disagree on its usefulness on its suitability for detailing.

Right now I'm trying to get the site plan drawing, prepared by the engineer to agree with Google Earth in Sketchup. The engineer has the North arrow off by almost ten degrees (ummm, hey buddy, we're going solar with this thing!), the buildings are in the right locations but the edge of the lake is off by a fair bit, and that affects setbacks, lot area and all sorts of other stuff.
It's amazing to so easily compare and correct such specific information. Before Google bought Sketchup it was just a dream. Now it's almost free.

Magnetic declination? ... I just had the same issue when orienting the slab on a current residential project, which was ostensibly oriented specifically for solar heat/hot water. The designer, who drew up the original "plans" (in SketchUp, BTW), was not familiar with the difference between true and magnetic North ... among a myriad of other things.
Amazing, the cavernous gap in education of some of these so called "professionals" of today.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I grew up in Chicago. It wasn't until primary flight training in Seattle that I came to understand the difference can become rather significant and of more than academic interest.
"MikeWhy" wrote

Know the feeling ... in my case, calling in artillery fire, in earnest, was indeed of more than academic interest. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

That is a profound level of ignorance. Heck, I had that nailed at the age of 11 in boy scouts. I used to reconointer with map and compass competitively at 13. I must be an old fart. This sort of thing has been replaced by GPS tecnology.
An aside to the above. I used to take all kinds of wilderness surivival courses as a teenager and used to build woodcraft types of shelters at fairs, etc. I also designed elite first aid kits and survival gear. So I know something about this sort of thing. When asked as to the most important peice of survival gear I would pack if I was to get very far off the beaten track, I always answer, "A satellite phone."
Robatoy wrote:

No, but you never miss an opportunity to point out it's limitations, and most of the time, in spite of pointing out SU is not supposed to be a heavy duty CAD program, someone, usually Swingman, shows you SU can do what you said it can't. Of course there should be things a simple, free, sketching program cannot do, but those limitations are pretty moot to most woodworkers.

I don't know of any software that can build a house? Swing used SU to design a house he is building. That means SU can be used to design a house. I guess if you have no clue how to build a house, SU probably will not help you design one either.

Yes, but seems we are talking about the softwares abilities and limitations, personal abilities, other than ability to use SU, aside.
> SU is inadequate for my needs. That doesn't make me a bad person

I doubt SU is adequate for many things, perhaps designing a NASA launch pad, but for most woodworkers in small shops it is more than adequate.

Not sure, but seems much of the planet is starting to interface with SU, probably because of it's enormous popularity. The fact Swingman was able to draw up something and send it to a fabricator to make with out a problem is rather telling. Still, not something a lot of woodworkers care about.
On paper and in digital

So, your pissed off you spent all that time and money and now people are getting most of the capability free and free tutorials to boot? That's how it sounds, true or not...

No more than it will help you build a better boat.
--
Jack
"Robatoy" wrote

LOL ... it ain't like you never heard it before. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Actually...? No.
"Jack Stein" wrote

On that note, framing crew boss has been in the construction trailer four times already this morning saying "Can I see that again?" ... talking about a 2D roof plan on my laptop, which can be orbited to 3D for viewing a 'field change' that needs to be made to a complicated truss layout.
Looks like I *sold* another copy of SU for Google before lunch. ")
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

LOL, I think the biggest ob-stakle is that many have tried it, like you and I, and did not like it, like you and I. The difference is that you, me, and others have given it another chance a few more times and with the latest upgrades find that it is quite capable of performing in the same league as more expensive pieces of software when it concerns wood working of most any type. I think the biggest ob-stakle is learning how to think about designing and drawing in a totally different way and knowing that many solutions are accomplished with down loading free plug-ins. The more expensive programs have the plug-ins built in but you pay for them in the package.
BTY I finally mastered the problem of fitting a board between the posts diagonally, even if the posts are not parallel.
ob-stakle : Something to over come, as used in "O'brother Where Art Thou" '~)
Leon wrote:

Yes, and one of, no, the main reason I kept trying it was Swingman touting the benefits of SU. It may not interface with my $50,000 CNC machine, but then again, I really don't have a $50,000 CNC machine...
--
Jack
Swingman wrote:

Yeah, but does his feet hurt?
--
Jack
Jack Stein wrote:

Which of you started the grammar/spelling war, before I comment on this? :-)
--

-MIKE-