Re: OT: Any plumbers in the rec?

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 09:57:34 -0800, "Vic Baron" wro=

te:

> I'm NOT a plumber, but I'd suggest following your instincts.. > Would he test your water lines by putting 50 pounds in them? > > My worry would be that he could have CAUSED the leaks with running so muc= h > pressure through the lines, but again, I'm not a plumber.. > I'd hate to think that his test now DOES require replacing pipes and/or > fittings.. >

Well, mac, if that is what happened, it damn well should be repaired.

30psig is nothing.

Besides, what the hell is a plumber doing on a job like that anyway? Shouldn't that be a gas-fitter.. with a proper license?

Reply to
Robatoy

good point about the proper license. In Knoxville, Tennessee there was a seperate plumbers license and a seperate gas fitter license. In Texas, one license covered it all (multi discipline).

Jimmy Mac

Reply to
Jimmy Mac

...plumbers around here handle gas with regularity, but if you asked SoCalGas you may get another opinion. In most of the remodels I've been involved with the plumber will run gas lines, splice, etc., subject to inspection via local code.

That said, sewer gas backs up all the time in my city...the mains are too small and are being replaced but the city has to come out and flush the older ones once in awhile, this can produce the condition we're talking about...

cg

Reply to
Charlie Groh

But mercaptan smells quite different from sewer gas. At least around here. And then.. there was my ex's cooking.....

Reply to
Robatoy

...correctamundo, true...

cg

Reply to
Charlie Groh

"Jimmy Mac" wrote

LOL!!

Forgive me for picking nits.

But 40° is hardly considered cold, Even in a mild weather zone like I live in, that is not cold. (Although it did snow here today.)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Robatoy, sure you're not catching a whiff of the valley?? :o)

P D Q

Reply to
PDQ

At work there are a bunch of unused sinks in our labs that do dry up and leak stinky gas. That stink is indeed rather different from the smell of the gas odorant. However, if you don't smell them next to each other so to speak, and they are very weak, they may seem to be somewhat alike. If it is a sniff every once in a while I wouldn't really bother with it (especially if the house is not too well air tightened).

On the other hand, whenever I am in Somerville Mass just west of the car wash at 662 Somerville Avenue, walking along the tracks, I can clearly smell natural gas. So if you hear about a car wash (or the Starbucks across the road) going skywards, I have warned you .

Reply to
Han

Nope, I'm in the North End. Maybe once or twice a year, when the wind is directly from the South do I get a hint of Detroit. The local Chemical Valley 'scent' from 30 years ago has mostly disappeared.

Reply to
Robatoy

Innews: snipped-for-privacy@j35g2000yqh.googlegroups.com,=

Does take a while for those odours to dissipate. Sometimes even longer for the memories.

P D Q

Reply to
PDQ

Loose natural gas is nothing to laugh at. In Pontoon Lake, IL (near St. Louis, MO) last week a house exploded due to build up of natural gas. The explosion converted a fairly large wooden house into an extremely large pile of tooth picks. It also damaged 5 surrounding homes.

However on a real humorious note I once worked with a guy who used to work for a gas company in NE Indiana. One day someone dumped a couple of gallons of mercaptain. They got phone calls all day.

Dave

Reply to
David G. Nagel

"Vic Baron" wrote in

Rough-in test pressures are usually higher (30 psi for 24 hours is not uncommon) than what is required in your situation with appliances attached.

$2300 does not seem out of line for what you describe, at least in this area (Houston, TX). The cheapest I've dealt with in a similar situation was in the $1800 - $2000 range, and that was a few years back.

I'd be willing to bet a second opinion, if there are indeed leaks, will be close to the same ... the guys are like mechanics, pricing out of a book.

Is the gas hooked up to the meter now? If the plumber contacts the city, and he may be required to, you may well have to have the work done (if you want gas, that is) because any work started will require a permit first, and the meter must remain disconnected until an inspection has been passed.

Reply to
Swingman

======== Wow. Those are staggering numbers. 400+ feet of head. Seems to me you should be able to run a turbine and power your house (or neighborhood) with that.

Reply to
MikeWhy

You and I both know that 40=B0 ain't cold Lee. The last Frosty Balls Motorcycle run I was on was down to 31=B0 and on a bike . . . THAT'S cold. However, he said he lived in L.A. so 40 would be a bit on the chilly side for the Cali folks. LOL

Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmy Mac

"David G. Nagel" wrote in news:cfJpl.17887$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com:

About 4 miles from where I grew up was one of the first factories making rayon fiber. I believe from wood pulp (see also ). Apparently during the process mercaptans are produced, since even at this distance the smell could almost be sickening. But then, the agriculturists around could make smells too ...

Reply to
Han

. snipped-for-privacy@nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com:

Agriculturists themselves can be disgusting, their animals are usually not too bad. I drive by a very large chicken farm every so often.. and I tell you, when it is a little muggy and warm, and a slowbreeze comes across that highway..... I'm surprised that the drainage ditches aren't full of cars with passed-out passengers at wheel. Damn, that stuff hurts the throat/eyes.... Pigs can be borderline, but the regular fellas, like cows... no problem.. THAT is 'country' and it makes me want to chew on a straw and do some whittling.

Reply to
Robatoy

Agriculturists themselves can be disgusting, their animals are usually not too bad. I drive by a very large chicken farm every so often.. and I tell you, when it is a little muggy and warm, and a slowbreeze comes across that highway..... I'm surprised that the drainage ditches aren't full of cars with passed-out passengers at wheel. Damn, that stuff hurts the throat/eyes.... Pigs can be borderline, but the regular fellas, like cows... no problem.. THAT is 'country' and it makes me want to chew on a straw and do some whittling.

Best leave those sheep alone! :o)))

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston

Why? Is that ba-a-a-a-ad?

Are you pulling the wool over my eyes?

*singing* "there will never be another ewe"

And remember, when you lie down with sheep, you'll wake up with fleece.

If you're going to 'do' a sheep, do it at the edge of a cliff, that way they'll push back a little better.... or so I'm told.

Shear nonsense!!

I won't lambaste you with anymore bad sheep puns.

somebody please stop me....

Why do shepherds wear robes? A: The sounds of zippers make sheep nervous.

Reply to
Robatoy

hmm.. never even heard of a gas fitter.. I California it was just a plumber's licence.. They do both..

Would you need 2 service calls for a water heater installation, a plumber and a gas fitter?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Why? Is that ba-a-a-a-ad?

Are you pulling the wool over my eyes?

*singing* "there will never be another ewe"

And remember, when you lie down with sheep, you'll wake up with fleece.

If you're going to 'do' a sheep, do it at the edge of a cliff, that way they'll push back a little better.... or so I'm told.

Shear nonsense!!

I won't lambaste you with anymore bad sheep puns.

somebody please stop me....

Why do shepherds wear robes? A: The sounds of zippers make sheep nervous.

And . . .

How can you tell when Robatoy is driving through the countryside? The livestock are backed up to the fence. [ RIMSHOT! ]

:o) Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston