Thunderbird - reading posts shortcut keys

Hi,

Having moved to TB, because of the less adequate filters of the newsreader I was using - TB's filters work very well indeed and I am slowly finding my way around it, except for one issue.

The F or f shortcut key, steps through the postings one by one, showing the upper part of each post in the reading pane. Fine if it is only a short post, but if it is a longer one that needs to be scrolled then the space bar has to be uses to scroll down.

My last newsreader used the space bar to both step through the posts and scroll down each post which is displayed. One common key press for both. Does TB have such a key, I've looked and been unable to find one.

I notice that the space bar does step through some posts, plus scroll through the individual posts, but after a few such posts it stops responding.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

You might prefer 'n' instead of 'f' for next unread message, rather than simply next message

or you can use space for dual use ... scroll within current message, or if at end then scroll to next message (except there's a bug where it occasionally gets stuck and you need 'n').

sorry, I didn't read ahead, yes it's space.

You could try to add some weight to my bug report

Andy Burns

Thanks, a bit better.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

I normally use n to advance to the next unread post, and space will page the message pane.

(you can adjust the split position to make the message pane bigger as well if you want)

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks John, got it now - I just thought there might be a single key, which I had failed to find, which would sequence through both..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

I think space is supposed to do what you want, but not everyone finds it will advance reliably.

Reply to
John Rumm

That was what I found, though rather strangely, this morning it is working the way I want.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

SPACE works reliably for me, but the mouse wheel sometimes needs a lot of scrolling before the screen moves

Reply to
Andrew