Shipping Costs

Page 1 of 7
So I need a $3.00 part for my jointer or else it is dead. Order it online from Delta. You would think thing they would not charge $8 for shipping since the part weights about 1 ounce. Just annoyed and wanted to complain to someone.
1.How much time will it take Delta employees to process the paperwork for your order, look up and pick the part from some warehouse location. Pack the item and supply a box or package and deliver it to the shipping department? 2. How much of the $8.00 is the actual cost of shipping? 3. Would your otherwise dead Jointer needed a 1 cent item or if the part was $50 would the shipping cost make any difference to the shipper? 4. Do you think Delta is "getting rich" on your $11 transaction? and 5. Is your dead Jointer worth $11 to have it come back to life and be useable again?
Wow. If my Table Saw, Drill Press or Planer became dead I'd be more than happy to have it working again for $11!

happy to have it working again for $11!
I often do what I can to avoid paying shipping costs also, and I know they seem high. I'll look around Amazon to bring orders up past the $25 free shipping point, I'll search around online to find a supplier with lower freight charges, or I'll plan to stop by stores (i.e. Woodcraft) that aren't local to me, but are on the way to somewhere I'm traveling. Overall, I probably spend more time trying to save a few bucks than I really save in the end. However, if your part were $11 and shipping were "free", it'd probably be a mini-gloat! Andy

Are you serious? What should they do, eat the shipping just for you?? FYI - UPS charges for 1 pound (minimum) package to a residential address is now about $5.00. Add the cost of the box, packing, label, labor to pull and pack the part.
Be happy they don't have a $25 (or more) minimum order charge. I would.

You can't really ship anything for less than $6 via UPS. Complain about it to UPS, not Delta.
One ounce could readily go via USPS for about 39 cents. Add an ounce for a bubble envelope and we are still under a dollar.
UPS is not always the shipper of choice ... certainly not for items that can travel via First Class mail and frequently not for items that can go via prioprity mail.
Apparently Delta is just dropping everything in a box and waiting for the brown truck to pull up outside. But the white truck with the red & blue stripes will ALSO make pickups and, in many cases, charge less than the brown truck.
Just my two cents ... I don't think shippers give much thought to providing cheap shipping from the customers point of view because they know that, as long as the charge doesn't get TOO crazy, they can always recoup it from the customer.
Bill

As the owner of a company that ships over 500 packages a month, I can tell you that USPS does not have the infrastructure required to handle any serious volume. We do not offer USPS to our customers for a couple of reasons, first, they do not offer any sort of tracking service, only delivering confirmation. Second, USPS's technology in regards to processing/handling shipments is *really( poor (entering the shipment, printing labels, pickups, tracking). Basically, it's a big PIA to ship anything via USPS, and the only thing it is really good for is for shipping those small few dollar parts, and it's just not worth the time and effort for such low margin items.
Locutus wrote:

Shipping USPS makes it *MUCH* cheaper for us Canadians since they only charge a flat $5 for brokerage.
UPS wants $23 for an import permit, $4.25 to collect the fees from you if you don't have a brokerage account, and then a sliding scale of brokerage fees depending on the value of the item you're importing. (For a $40 item they want $19.45 in fees!)
And of course, all these fees are taxable.
When all you need is a $3 part, it's pretty gruesome to end up with a $30 brokerage charge on top of the shipping cost.
Chris

That's why we don't ship to Canada. :)
and we have little to no recourse against credit card chargebacks.
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 14:00:04 -0400, "Locutus"

I cringe everytime a package is sent to me via UPS. Every single time it looks like a gorilla threw it around his cage. One time UPS even spilled what looked like used motor oil on it. Another time the box looked like it was deliberately crushed. All boxes, even the undamaged ones are very dirty. It's like they've got a rule that everything goes through a dirt mister or is dragged several hundred feet down a country road.
It's more a testament to the quality of the box and manner in which the merchandise was packed that anything arrives undamaged. In the case of the above mentioned crushed box, the contents *were* damaged. The people that will send via USPS are more favored by me when I have the choice.
UPS sucks.

In the 5 years we have been in business we have had less than 10 packages reported damaged, and UPS paid for the damage in every case but one. I think you might be using a wee bit of hyperbole. :)

There are probably very few companies within your favor, I know none of our competition ships USPS, and I can't recall any company I have ever purchased from other than a small mom & pop shop that offered USPS shipping. For the reasons I previously stated I would imagine.
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 16:02:56 -0400, "Locutus"

No, no hyperbole. You've only been in business 5 years. Just wait.
The package with oil on it was a set of mesquite boards ordered through Texas Kiln products. My first TIVO was sent in TIVOs own colorful box. Dirty. Very very dirty. The last time (several years later) a couple months ago, TIVO sent one in their colorful box, but this time packed in the center of a larger brown box which took the brunt of the UPS abuse. 3 times within the same number of months, I ordered blank DVDs from supermedia.com. Crushed in each case. The 2nd box was hurt so bad it broke the cakebox inside that the DVDs actually sit in. the spindle the DVDs are on was broke about 1/2 way up. Fortunately all the DVDs were ok.
I could go on. Want to hear more?

Then there is no choice if I happen upon your company and the kind of stuff it sells. But I'm on a hair trigger now to go ape on UPS. In fact, I may decide I don't need the item at all.
Amazon for one, will send via USPS. Fedex is another option.
UPS is careless with the package entrusted to them. And apparently doesn't make the slightest effort to improve their service. When I hear that they're on strike, I love it. It means for me, for a while, I may get something sent via a method that doesn't put what I've ordered at risk.
UPS should go out of business.

I have to say, you've had an experience. I've been receiving weekly (or greater) shipments from both UPS and Fed Exp for twenty years now and I've never even come close to what you describe. In fact in those twenty years, I cannot remember a damaged shipment. It's possible something way back when did arrive damaged, but it would have been so long ago that I really don't remember it. As far as dirty goes - never - absolutely never encountered that.

Don't know what makes your experience so different from mine, but it sure is.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

I've received exactly one box delivered by the USPS that was so badly mangled I feared for its contents. Ditto FedEx.
And I've lost count of the number of crushed boxes I've received from UPS.

OTOH, I see that frequently with UPS, and *never* with any other carrier.

I'll vouch for that. On a couple of occasions, I've had to go to their local facility to pick up a package -- and I've had the experience of seeing how they treat the packages. To call their handling of packages "careless" would be a compliment.

My experience with UPS is much closer to his than to yours. In my opinion, *you* are the exception. :-)
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Well, you have to expect that when their ships are so tight* to begin with...
rm *reference to their advertising campaign.

I worked in the Automotive industry for about 25 years and our company shipped probably 40 to 50 packages a day and received back order releases daily from UPS. No problems ever unless it was not properly packaged to start with.
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 01:23:00 GMT, "Leon"

IMO, yours and Mike's experience is the exception. My own and Mr. Millers are more alike. And I think the rule. I have a coworker that also shares my experience. UPS is the butt of a lot of humor at my employer.
UPS is NOT a class organization. They get used because quite frankly, many times there is no other choice. Not because anyone wants their substandard service.
When I send packages somewhere, I *always* use the USPS. For foreign and domestic.
*trimming and snipping*

*snip*
It would appear that UPS is not a CONSISTANT organization. We've had little trouble with them, in fact most things get to our location in 2-3 days in good condition.
My sister worked at a MailBoxes, Etc. store for almost a year, and said that the FedEx guy would be kicking and dragging the packages out to the truck while the UPS guy would handle them at least decently.
Puckdropper

That particular employee needs some discipline. That's unacceptable. How does he know that the contents of the package will survive such abuse?

No, I think mine is the rule as USP is a growing company. If you experience was the rule they would have been out of business years ago. I have heard of complaints about UPS since the early 70's but have really never seen a reason for the complaints. Ther is always going to be a problem some where in a company that is this big.

Not the case in Houston. Ther are plenty of alternatives.