Sawstop - probably a stupid question

Page 1 of 11
The review of the Sawstop system in the latest issue of FWW contains the following: "The braking mechanism springs an aluminum cartridge into the path of the blade as the whole blade assembly drops below the surface of the tabletop, out of harm's way".
If the blade drops below the tabletop, what's the point of stopping it ? If it doesn't drop quickly enough to be safe, why drop it at all ?
only one p in my real address / un seul p dans ma vιritable adresse
Add pictures here
βœ–
A good and fair question - but to me the dangers of this device far exceed this question. The problem with this device is people becoming dependent on it and being careless, and then at a most inopportune moment, the device fails. After all, it is only an electromechanical device, and such devices have certainly been known to fail. It remains that the best safety device ever invented is a clear mind and proper technique. And I realize that the SawStop has been thoroughly tested on hot dogs without failure, but 1: That certainly doesn't mean that it won't fail. And I believe that they don't guarantee that it won't fail. 2. When I want to cut up a hot dog I use a knife instead of my table saw anyway.
Regards, Fred

Add pictures here
βœ–

You mean, after 3 or 4 CLOSE calls, and spending several hundreds of dollars replacing blades and catridges, they will become careless and lose a hand?
You know, I have a neighbor who accidentally set his house on fire three times. The last time (he was thawing a frozen pipe with a propane torch) the house caught fire so bad he lost the whole house (No, I don't know if the insurance company paid him. And his wife and two little girls were with him when he did it).
I guess my point is this:
1) Some people are freakin' careless. 2) Some people are freakin' dumb as a post.
These people will ALWAYS be an issue. SawStop has nothing to do with it. And I can't see how SawStop would make things worse for these people.
Wait - I thought of something.....
If they have SawStop AND they disable it, yes - it could make things worse. But if it's always enabled, and works, it HAS to help.
βœ–
Bruce Barnett notes:

Only helps if you stick body parts in the blade.
Charlie Self "Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." Mark Twain
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 13 Dec 2004 16:56:20 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Body parts? Is that why they show test it with a wiener?:)
Add pictures here
βœ–
Gino SameOld asks:

Simulates a finger. You were thinking it simulated a...what?
Charlie Self "Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." Mark Twain
Add pictures here
βœ–
Gino wrote:

Ain't gonna test it with my weiner!
Glen
Add pictures here
βœ–

Everyone knows that tablesaws are to cut wood.
-j
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yeah, so flaccid wieners don't count!
Barry
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 01:33:29 GMT, Ba r r y

More evidence of The Wreck discrimination against 'soft' woods.:)
Add pictures here
βœ–

I agree. Nude woodworking is not for the faint of heart, especially if you happen to be a wood turner.:)
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) writes:

Exactly.
βœ–
On 13 Dec 2004 16:48:06 GMT, Bruce Barnett

Cut enough fingers off and they'll stop driving too.
There _are_ people dumb enough that opposable thumbs are wasted on them.
Add pictures here
βœ–

How can you drink beer without thumbs?
-j
Add pictures here
βœ–
Fred said......

careless, and then at a most inopportune moment, the device fails.
Sorta like brakes on a vehicle then....?

certainly been known to fail. It remains that the best safety device

the SawStop has been thoroughly tested on hot dogs without failure, but

that they don't guarantee that it won't fail.

saw anyway.
I guess you then don't use the brakes on your vehicle.....?
I believe a lot of the controversy on this subject was not so much the technicalities but that the company tried to have legislation introduced that would mandate this safety device. It would probably greatly minimize the potential damage done to skin and bone versus the number of failures it may experience but if you're the one it fails on - then you certainly wouldn't agree.
Like brakes on a vehicle - they've been known to fail also.
Bob S.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yeah - get ready. Whether they understand it or not the Government's is probably going to help us out on this.
Add pictures here
βœ–

More like an airbag. If it were to go off at the wrong time, that'd be bad. If it were to not go off when it should, that'd be bad too. And if you rely on it as a supplimental safety feature and disregard the primary safety features (seatbelts, paying attention, not being drunk/stoned/ stupid while driving) then you're asking for a world of hurt.

Yes, that and the fact that they keep not being able to produce it. Having been in both design and manufacturing, I recognize a "we can't make this reliable enough to ship" situation when I see one, and I see one.

But Bob, brakes on a vehicle exist. Much like a retail Sawstop does not.
Add pictures here
βœ–
The Sawstop may be like brakes and airbags in some respects, but I have not seen airbags that cost more than an entry level car. The SawStop would eliminate entry level tablesaws completely as you can't add it to a $200 benchtop. Even if you could somehow manage to fit this thing into an entry level saw, the base price would have to double or triple and the cost of it going off would be more than the pre-SawStop cost of the saw. Incremental safety equipment additions to cars and such have certainly added to the cost of such items substantially, but they have not doubled or tripled the entry level price. The cost of an airbag replacement hasn't yet reached the cost of the rest of the car. Dave Hall
Add pictures here
βœ–

You might be interested in knowing that an accident that causes 4 or 5 thousand dollars worth of body damage on an entry level car that is a year or two old may very well total the vehicle when you add in the replacement cost of the air bags and interior trim parts that are damaged when the air bags go off.
Add pictures here
βœ–

There's no reason it has to add that kind of cost to a table saw. There's nothing in it that costs that much. Granted, it's a capitalist world and the owner of the idea is entitled to charge what the market will bear, but there's no reason for it to double or triple the cost of a low end saw.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com