http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid 601109&refer=news&sidªomG4adRvHY
Regards,
Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
Add pictures here
✖
Tom Watson wrote:

No WAY! He's a lawyer fighting for the common man.
Add pictures here
✖
Tom Watson wrote:

Interesting. 55,000 injuries (reported) per year yet the CPSC is clearly playing regulatory politics.
That would change in an afternoon if the head of that organization could be coaxed into standing on the infeed side of a table saw for a couple of hours.
Even once the regulatory wheels begin to turn it will take YEARS before saw manufacturers would have to comply with tighter standards. Research. Public debate. Draft Standards. Phase-In. Then, eventually, POSSIBLE enforcement.
Ten years of toe dragging will add up to another half-million or so (reported) injuries. And who knows how many unreported ones where the victim couldn't afford medical care so no record was ever made of the injury.
And that woman doesn't even want to begin the toe-dragging part?
Bill
--
Life is like playing a violin in public and learning the instrument as
one goes on.
On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 02:11:49 -0500, Bill in Detroit wrote:

Yeah, she might change from "toe-dragging" to "cold day in Hell".
In any case, worksite safety is OSHA's turf, not CPSC.

Most of which are minor, and many of which Sawstop would have done nothing to prevent (banged head on table while crouched under wing of saw, dropped saw on foot, got splinter in eye, etc--read the incident reports, don't just accept that they were all incidents of somebody cutting his finger off).

Good for her.
Personally I don't want to live in a world where the only table saws available are monsters that take a crew or a forklift to move them and cost several thousand dollars. The Sawstop saw is a heavy machine and it took two iterations before they brought it to market--perhaps you should ask yourself why--was it because they wanted to sell something equivalent to a Unisaw or was it that the first time around the cheaper, lighter saw self-destructed the third time the cartridge fired?
Has Sawstop _ever_ demonstrated it on a 400 buck jobsite saw? If not perhaps you should ask why.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

I read "an estimated" not reported. I discounted the article and stopped reading at that point. Did I not read far enough?
Estimated? By whom?
Frank

Add pictures here
✖

An excellent read. Hopefully this will quell the baseless ranting of a few.
Add pictures here
✖
Tom Watson wrote:

Posting early with no caffeine yet, be gentle.
Interesting, she says the saw stops in 3/1000 of a second yet their main page http://sawstop.com/ only promises 5/1000 of a second. Minor but not out of line for a reporter listed as 'a regulatory columnist ' rather than a woodworking writer. The overview page does mention 3 - 5/1000 so she's going with the 'better' number:-) Maybe she's done other technical articles but I didn't see an immediate link to her past work. Searching by her last name shows an interesting array of articles over the past few months. I didn't notice her mentioning hot Sawstop tried to force legislation that would make their method the only one allowed, which is what started the 'Buzz Saw of Opposition'. We'd all (well, mostly all so don't jump down my throat for this) appreciate keeping all 10 fingers, but aren't interested in the government 'helping' us by forcing it down our throat. I for one would like to know how effective it would be just to drop the blade below the table without the braking device that destructively stops the blade. The additional mass that would have to be added to let the saw survive that without requiring realignment, (it doesn't require realignment does it?) would be a plus. They don't mention it and neither does the writer but I seem to recall someone here mentioning a show where the demonstrator took a full swing at the running blade with a large salami and received only a minor cut in the salami. Joe
Add pictures here
✖

MEGO . . . .
-D
--
"What do *you* care what other people think?" --Arline Feynman

Add pictures here
✖
Don Fearn wrote:

MEGO? http://www.megomuseum.com/ ? Joe