Sawstop Cabinet Saw

I quoted your statement. Try reading. Here it is again.

Reply to
CW

It's also tough to reattach the pink spray you get when you reach past a grinder.

DAMHIKT

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

Hey, you're the one making statements about "unresolved design issues" without any factual evidence to back it up. With the verbal diarrhea you're spouting, it suggests that you're the real ass.

Realistically, there isn't any type of perfect machinery on this planet. If you'd said something like that then I'd agree with you fully, but that's not what you said is it? You just opened your mouth and spouted your unspoken suggestion that there was something that needs to be fixed with the SawStop. And, that leads me to say it again. You're full of crap.

Reply to
Upscale

Then you made a poor assumption and an unsafe decision to leave the cutoff there. That's something that is completely within your control though and thinking safety first might have told you that there was a kickback possibility and you should move the cutoff completely away from the blade, moving or not.

That's why some of us aren't worried about a tablesaw chasing us down and causing us bodily harm, we consider the possibilities carefully and don't take any chances to begin with.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Oh yes, once that jointer gets through, your finger is going to be thinly sliced and spread over a wide area. But what's next? Do they start making JointerStop and DrillPressStop? Hey, why not go for HammerStop so you don't hit your thumb?

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Hey, new product! GrinderStop!

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Without a blade guard, which takes even a bigger dumbass.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

How is it that you're so perfect and have never ever hurt yourself? Can I have some of that dope you're smoking? I'd like to feel omnipotent too.

Reply to
Upscale

Didn't one or a couple of earlier posters who own the saw post about misfires?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Yes, you're correct, which is why I mentioned that there isn't any type of perfect machinery on this planet. Nothing is absolutely perfect. That doesn't for one second suggest that the SawStop is a faulty product. All it means is that there's always going to be an exception to one working flawlessly under all conditions. As someone mentioned earlier, SawStop (for the time being anyway) is accepting the first fired cartridge from people and replacing it no charge. Apparently, they're using this process to investigate and evaluate the effectiveness of their saw out in the general public. Any company of merit is always looking to improve their product. That doesn't mean it's defective.

If you're really interested in information on the SawStop in actual use and the amount of activations, I'd suggest you query Robin Lee of Lee Valley Tools. Most if not all of the saws within Lee Valley Tools have been replaced with SawStops. I think LV has in excess of a dozen saws. I don't know if he will respond, but Robin should be able to give you an honest evaluation of LV's experience with activations, faulty or otherwise.

Reply to
Upscale

The original posts certainly did imply (to my eye) that these were true misfires. That's a design issue that has yet to be worked out, if that's the case. No need to be an applogist for Sawstop - it's just a matter of fact. Like all new products, things have to be worked out sometimes. My response was to your comment that the owner should invest in an inventory of spare items to protect against downtime incurred by something that really was not supposed to happen - a misfire. That's an appologist position. My comment was that it should not be the responsibility of the owner to inventory parts in anticipation of the thing firing when it should not. Nothing more than that. Do you buy a second set of tires for your car in anticipation of a tire failure?

I'm not interested. I think the saw looks to be a pretty good design from a number of perspectives and I think the stop mechanism will probably be de-bugged quickly enough, and will eventually be a pretty good machine. I think the cost is too high, but that's a very subjective statement. Again - my original comment to you was not addressing the saw, it was addressing your assertion that if the saw is still prone to mis-fires, then the owner should stock parts. My contention is that the manufacturer should assume the position of standing behind those mis-fire issues. Let them supply parts in anticipation of a mis-fire until they get the bugs worked out.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Good saw, well made.

Have had no misfires, or injuries, and planning to keep it that way.

We do keep a spare cartridge on hand though...maybe the likelihood of misfire goes up if you don't? ;)

We do not use dado sets anymore - so no experience there....

Cheers -

Rob

Reply to
Rob Lee

If I may ask prior to your adoption of sawstops what was your Tablesaw injury rate? Any rough approximation would suffice.....

Incidentally recently(a week or so) the Mrs. asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I presented her with a Lee Valley wish list.....she obliged and in less than a week the order showed up upon my doorstep....complete, nice stuff, well packed and timely....thanks Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

No they are going straight to the IdiotStop. It will read your mind and stop you from going near any machinery that you are overly confident about using.

Reply to
Leon

Hell he made an unsafe decision to not have some one else cut the wood for him. He should have called you, I guess.

I guess you have your TS chained sown so that it will not chase you down and cause you bodily harm.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
M Berger

So your philosophy is NO safety features until they're available for EVERYTHING?

Sawst> One accident that may have been prevented by the SawStop, will not

Reply to
M Berger

And promoting customer Good Will.

Reply to
Leon

Why is it a big deal? Thousands of companies try to get their products approved and mandated by the government. Maybe someone working on the campaign lost a limb and didn't want to see that happen to others.

If the technology were mandated, th> It's *completely* true. Again, do a Google Groups search -- this was discussed

Reply to
M Berger