Sawstop

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 13:12:22 -0400, "Lee Michaels"

Hell, don't you think it should be called Darwin's radar device? When it detects someone walking behind the car, a sharp, piercing alarm goes off and the driver unintentionally stomps on the gas pedal. The car speeds in reverse and removes the idiot behind the car from the human gene pool.

Reply to
none

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 12:33:31 -0500, Leon

Since it's been awhile since I owned a car, I have to ask. What's the safety method to keep those keyless cars from being stolen?

Reply to
none

Now that is all mean! The device should detect the idiot. Then it triggers your deck lid to open and out pops a telescoping 4 fingered hand that places a Dunces hat on the offender and another telescoping feature with a boot to kick him across the parking lot.

Add to that the optional sound effects heard on cartoons 50 years ago.

The sounds from Roadrunner and Wiley Coyote come to mind.

If you were in a parking lot at night you would swear you were at the drive in theater.

;~)

Reply to
Leon

There is a fob, it must be within a certain distance of the car or it will not start.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

A key fob that only has to be in your pocket or purse. Typically they work just like keyless entry, the interior lights up when you get near the vehicle and the door unlocks when you touch the door handle, you relock by touching another unique spot on the handle, get in and push a button to start the engine. None of this works with out the key fob being very close by. Additionally if you leave the key fob in the vehicle you cannot lock the doors from out side the vehicle. Drop the key fob inside the trunk and you can't close the deck lid.

Additionally the key fob has the usual buttons to use if you choose to do all of this manually or want to double check that you locked the vehicle with out walking all the way back to the parking spot. AND the key fob has an internal emergency key that will pull out and unlock the drivers door.

The biggest learning curve to this keyless ignition and unlock option is to remember to not pull your keys out.

Reply to
Leon

----------------------------------------------- Rain?

You drive in the rain?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 12:54:51 -0500, Leon

I'd bet it would be loss leader type of product that you get for cheap or nothing. It brings you into someplace where they can suggest some other purchase or repair.

And eventually, you get used to getting this product for free and then 'voilà', suddenly they start charging for it.

Reply to
none

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 14:05:46 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

They could market it as 'Skunk parking protection'. :)

Reply to
none

------------------------------------------------------ Solved the Firestone problem back in the 70's.

Simply refused to accept delivery of a new company car if it had Firestone tires on it.

Basically, everybody in the district did the same thing.

Can't comment on Bridgestone.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

So you were not a Ford man? ;~)

During that time if you bought a new vehicle you could take it to a BFG dealer and they would replace what ever brand tire it had for free.

I steer clear of Bridgestone too.

I have the best luck with Michelin, Dunlop, and Falkin.

Reply to
Leon

Precisely. Same goes for those free 21 point safety checks offered by many repair shops.

Reply to
Leon

+1
Reply to
woodchucker

Fully agree. Can't think of too many things more devastating than running over a kid, or even worse, running over your own kid.

Reply to
none

Not just any pocket. I have found that it will not work if you come home from work and change into shorts, leaving the fob in your other pants in the bedroom. I've done extensive research on that.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Unfortunately, I've seen first hand the devastation that caused, and the memory is enough to give me involuntarily shudders to this day.

Back when I'd just returned from the service and was totally fed up with the world, and basically being as worthless as possible, a friend, who worked with me shoeing horses, was leaving his home to meet me at a stables and backed over and killed his 3 year old son playing in the driveway, an only child. A whole lot more than that precious little boy died that morning.

Reply to
Swingman

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 16:29:12 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Mike, there isn't a person *anywhere* that can say they haven't done something really dumb or stupid.

Reply to
none

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 16:41:28 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Yeah, I know. And, I can't fault you in the least for ranting about it. I suspect our parents did the same thing although I can only remember one incident of my father ranting.

I was fifteen and swiped his car in the middle of a snowstorm and drove some friends around. When he came out to drive to a dental appointment, he found the car gone. Naturally, he called the police to say that his car was stolen.

Anyway, I came back and promptly got stuck in the snow on the way into the carport. He came out and caught me. He called the police to tell them that his son had the car. I was lucky they didn't ask how old I was.

... After that was when the ranting started.

Reply to
none

Recently had tires replaced, the dealer used nitrogen to fill the tire at no charge. I know that the use of dry nitrogen has been a Nascar staple for years, but it is to remove the variable of moisture. They need it we do not.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

That has not happened to me yet. What about your purses? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

------------------------------------------ Actually usually drove Fords, just not with Firestone installed.

FoMoCo was a major account.