"Rubbing Out"

Is the Liberon wool any better than the Rhodes brand 0000 sold by HD? Scratch "pattern" on 30 day cured nitro looked more like it was made by 00. I ended up recoating and hitting with white Scotchbrite, then swirl remover.
On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 16:14:00 -0700 (PDT), Father Haskell

The difference between the Chiwanese 0000 and Liberon's is night and day. The Chiwanese looks like 0, comparatively. I still have a couple bags of old Chiwanese, so I haven't shopped lately for steel wool. I'd pretty much kept using Liberon's for good work, and Chiwanese for rust removal, etc. I haven't seen the Rhodes brand.
-- The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold. -- Glenn Doman

Rhodes is usually listed in fine print. How's the shredding with the Liberon?
On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 07:02:25 -0700 (PDT), Father Haskell

Can't comment on the steel wool you've mentioned, but I happen to like the extra fine grade of steel wool I've purchased from Lee Valley. The longer strands are supposed to be more resistant to crumbling. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p 062&cat=1,190,43040
On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 10:24:55 -0400, Dave wrote:

I checked that out, and aside from the fact that it comes in "extra fine", etc. instead of numbered grades, the description reads just like Liberon. Wonder if Liberon and Lee Valley get their stuff from the same manufacturer?

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 16:47:35 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

We Canadians know what one or two side by side zeros are, but more than two adjacent zeros such as 0000 grade has us totally confused.
"The extra-fine grade is equivalent to #000/0000, the fine to #00, and the medium to #1." How can "extra-fine" be two different grades?
----------------- "Larry Blanchard" wrote in message On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 10:24:55 -0400, Dave wrote:

fine", etc. instead of numbered grades, the description reads just like Liberon. Wonder if Liberon and Lee Valley get their stuff from the same manufacturer?

Perhaps they mix them, randomly, depending on whatever's cheaper.
Or maybe if the range is something like .10-.20" for one, .20-.30" for the other, their name grade is .16"-.28" or something. (The numbers are just for comparison purposes.)
Puckdropper
On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 07:02:25 -0700 (PDT), Father Haskell

Since I only use it on fresh finishes, generally with paste wax in it, it hardly shreds at all. I think a small piece will last through a dozen projects.
It's definitely worth the extra price, a good value.
-- The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold. -- Glenn Doman
On 10/24/2011 1:56 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

I think you might be very pleased with a light rub down with fine steel wool followed by a good application of paste wax (I happen to use Trewax Indian Sand. though any non silicone quality hard wax will do) , applied with fine steel wool. It leaves an exquisite feel to the finish that is easy to repair if ever necessary.