Thin rubbing compound?

I've used two colors of rubbing compound. The red/orange color is more abrasive. Use a white color compound that has the car polish wax in it. Less abrasive, thinner and easier to apply.

Yes both can be thinned with a bit of water. Use a restaurant type plastic bottle (ketchup / mustard). Spray bottles won't work.

Think: the plastic honey bottle for the mixture and squirt in on and buff it out. Water will no cause any problems.

Reply to
Oren

Use water, the red may be to rough, white might be better.

Reply to
ransley

I got a very old can of Turtle Wax rubbing compound.

Re-painted some scratches on the car. Need to use rubbing compound to clean up overspray, etc.

Rubbing compound looks too thick (it's like paste wax) for buffer on cordless drill.

Can I thin it? With what??

Thx, P

Puddin' Man

Yes like others said, add water. But you don't want to use rubbing compound, it's too abrasive. Use Polishing Compound instead.

Reply to
Tony

Puddin' Man wrote the following:

The milder kind is called Polishing Compound. For a real mild abrasive, get a bottle of Scratch Remover. Both available at auto stores.

Reply to
willshak

willshak wrote in news:xeCdnTm9dsLWNTHWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

water.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Add a little water. I would not use it on a car finish. See if a rag dampened with kerosene will take it off before trying anything abrasive--it could save you a lot of grief.

Reply to
Phisherman

Bad weather kept me from doing the work sooner.

Thanks for numerous replies.

I tackled it a little today and found ... thatcha really need better equipment (good power buffer) than I have. I very rarely need to do this kind of work.

Thx, P

Puddin' Man