Repair/Remove vinyl siding

Anybody got some tips on removing vinyl siding?

Detached 2-car garage with Ga. Pacific vinyl siding from the 90's. I need to replace an outside corner post and some j-channel.

Got the Kobalt siding removal tool from HD. Managed to loosen one of the long siding segments with, like, a starter slit on the end, but couldn't get the tool started on any other pieces.

Any tips/tricks for getting the siding segments loose??

Thx, P

Puddin' Man

Siding is installed from the bottom up. One you get one segment out, removing lower segments should be as easy as prying out the nails.

It's not 100% necessary to start at the top. A little brute force can do wonders.

Warm days help too.

Reply to
despen

Google and YouTube are your friends.

RicodJour

It *was* worth watching, but ...

He got to the part where using the special tool to start removal, took a few stabs at it, failed to detach, and said "So much for that!". His demo proceeded from using the screwdriver, which I may or may-not be able to replicate.

It was the special tool that I had the problem with.

Thx, P

Puddin' Man

rote:

Okay. I didn't watch the whole thing. I was primarily trying to show you that for such searches videos are more helpful when learning a technique. Check the related videos.

RicodJour

He's trying to make the point that the special tool is unnecessary. Or maybe useless is more to the point.

There's no trick to it. Vinyl is snapped together then nailed loosely. You can take it apart with your bare hands but a little persistence (as demonstrated) is required.

He got in there and unsnapped the 2 pieces at an edge. Once he had a little opening to work with the rest was easy.

I'd say the most important aspect to doing this is a warm (or hot) day.

Reply to
despen

With an adequate supply of cold beer.

RicodJour

I have the tool. I have removed my vinyl siding for a number of things. Once just to hide some cable TV wires going to the pool house from the house (some guests like to watch sports when their kids are swimming). He doesn't know how to use the tool. You start at one end and pull down on the tab and just pull the tool along the seam like it was a zipper pull. It's called "unzipping the sidings". He made it look so difficult with the tool. It is not.

Reply to
willshak

That's like pointing out you need breathable air too.

Reply to
despen

If you're suggesting that beer and air are equally necessary, let me buy you a drink. ;)

RicodJour

At the very least, he "ain't expert!". Rest of the video was pretty good.

I got some short segments (< 12") that *are* difficult.

Thanks, P

Puddin' Man

Amen! You hit that nail right on the head.

And if the OP can not afford $6 or less for the tool he should sell the house cause he is doomed to fail as an owner. Or maybe he could borrow granny's crochet hook which would do the same job.

Of course if he breaks the crochet hook that will cost more to replace than the tool costs.

Reply to
Colbyt