Vinyl siding question from rookie

Most of my house is the cheap frame siding with several rotten-out boards. Does vinyl siding go over top of the frame siding or is the old frame removed? Thanks

Reply to
LRESA

I am not sure what you mean by "cheap frame siding". But, if it "lapped siding" you will have to either replace it with OSB or put furring stripes over it. If you don't, the siding will not fit/look right. If you are talking about T-111, you can side right over it. Just make sure the T-111 is attached firmly and won't bow out from warping.

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

We usually put fan-fold insulation under the vinyl siding that produces a flat surface. You don' really need anything since vinyl siding is hung and not nailed flat. You can just cover over what ever siding you have.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

"LRESA" wrote

| Most of my house is the cheap frame siding with several rotten-out | boards. Does vinyl siding go over top of the frame siding or is the | old frame removed? Thanks

You should remove the rotten boards and replace them with OSB. Otherwise the rot will keep spreading.

Reply to
Pat

I'm guessing you have some kind of old wood siding that has deteriorated over the years.

If the rotting is not too horribly far advanced, it's likely practical to use it to fasten new vinyl siding. This has been done with literally zillions of structures.

You need to have a good idea of what a contractor would need to do ...

Identify the old siding on the structure, assess the degree of rotting, then get a how-to booklet or 2 from Home Depot or Lowes etc and read it. The way vinyl siding is "hung" is fairly intuitive: you should be able to grasp it fairly easily.

Puddin' Man