Cut rubber flap?

I got a replacement flap for a dog door that is made from recycled tire rubber. Damned thing is out-of-spec, a little too long for the dog door, bottom drags over aluminum frame, makes it very hard for ancient doggie to go thru door.

I figure I need to trim about 1/8 " off the bottom of the flap, which is

5/16" thick. Any idea of a good way (tool or ) to get it done?

Thx, P

Puddin' Man

I'd try it on the bandsaw as first go, likely...

--

Reply to
dpb

a metal straight edge and a razor knife

Reply to
chaniarts

And dipping the knife in water will make a world of difference.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I made some rubber dog 'tags' once... to go between metal ones for noise abatement. I had a sheet of scrap about 1/8" thick that had fabric within, but other than that I have no clue as to what type of rubber it was.

I roughed them out with sheet metal shears, and they looked awful. Then on a hunch, tried cleaning one up with the bench grinder... it worked wonderfully!

As always YMMV, use caution and good judgment. Mark your cut line/s in advance and go slow. You don't even want to think about getting the rubber jammed between the wheel and tool rest. If like mine, the wheel will cut effortlessly, like a hot knife through butter...

BTW, the rubber 'tags' work great, eliminating well over 90% of the clanging/clattering.

Good Luck! Let us know how it goes...

Erik

Reply to
Erik

wet sharp knife. Wet with soapy water makes it easier

Reply to
clare

On 10/26/2011 6:36 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: ...

At the thickness given, that'll take a while--I'm into quick 'n easy...

Reply to
dpb

Remember, tough tire rubber, at least 5/16" thick. Might go 3/8.

Razor knife? How about a barber's straight razor?

Puddin' Man

Alternately, try a jigsaw if you don't have a bandsaw? Clamp flap to scrap of plywood for stability while cutting?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Yeah, because EVERYONE has a band saw just sitting around.

(rolling eyes)

Reply to
Ron

Have you tried cutting tire sidewalls or conveyor belting with a well soaped utility knife??? Just like buttah!!!

Reply to
clare

Should... :)

Or, if not, here's the "need"; everybody _does_ need/deserve another toy.

--

Reply to
dpb

Uh, it should work, but why ruin a straight razor to cut a bit of rubber when there are so many alternate methods available?

  • Band saw
  • Jig saw
  • Table saw
  • Hand saw of almost any variety: Regular, coping, limb-trimming, cross-cut, etc.
  • A rotary Dremel
  • Almost any kind of knife
  • A (sharp) machete and a hammer
  • A grinder with a coarse wheel
  • Take to a print shop and have them chop it with their big paper cutter

and so on

Reply to
HeyBub

Why waste time? Just use your chop saw and be done with it. You do have a chop saw? I do.

Reply to
Ron

te:

How about just getting out your utility knife (which you can keep a shape blade in), spray the rubber with soapy water, cut it, and be done with it.

Reply to
Ron

Which one, the slider or non? :)

Reply to
dpb

Razor knife and a straightedge. Make several light passes; it'll take you all of about a minute or two.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Less time than it'll take to read all the replies to the question, too :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Chop saw? Isn't that a bandsaw that butchers use?

Reply to
krw

A fresh blade in a utility knife and some soapy water.

Nice and slow. And tricky b/c there's an embedded magnet very close to the edge. Still, easier than I thought. :-)

Many thanks, P

Puddin' Man