Flap Type Syphon Thingies

Hi all

Anyone using the flap type flush devices in place of the regular syphon? Do they simply flush for as long as the handle is held down (button is pressed)? Can't see how these work exactly! Can they give a measured flush?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Sorry - should have made some reference to toilet cisterns in the middle of that spiel.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

In message , TheScullster writes

Very popular in the USA. They are held down by the weight of the water, but when lifted by the handle chain they pop up due to an air pocket built in. They will stay up until the water has all flushed and they lay back down on the valve seat and the water once again keeps them down.

Amazingly simple.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

But they need replacing regularly as they start to leak into the pan. 2 years is about their life. The one I got no longer had available spares so had to be replaced. Next time I'll get a syphon.

Reply to
<me9

In message , snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net writes

Isn't it just a matter of deposits building up on the mating surfaces? I remember staying in a hotel in America where the thing WAS trickling water in. Made somewhat annoying by the toilet being a syphon unit so that it occasionally "dumped".

I took the lid off the cistern and wiped the surfaces of the flapper valve clean with my finger and it was fine again.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell