Toilet flap drops too soon

The flap at the bottom of the tank drops before the tank empties completely. Is the some sort of adjustment that controls how fast the flap closes?

Reply to
Mark Savoy

Could be water logged or the wrong size. It's saving you water so if you only need the extra flush power once in a while, hold the handle down. Otherwise try replacing it.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

It's easy and cheap to replace the flap. That may solve it.

Sometimes I just shorten the cha> The flap at the bottom of the tank drops before the tank empties

Reply to
RonABC

but does the toilet flush? That is all that matters. different flappers will react differently. but none that i know of will empty the tank.

Steve Barker

flappers always float all the way up.

Steve Barker

Reply to
RonABC

Hi, Yes it is easy to replace but chain has to be adjusted properly. Sounds like chain has too much slack not lifting it fully.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

If the chain doesn't lift the flapper high enough, the out-rushing water will suck it down too soon. Shortening the chain will correct that. Holding the flush lever down longer will verify this.

Reply to
1D10T

Is this by chance a low-profile toilet? I was so frustrated with all the idiosyncracies of mine I replaced it with a $25 Kohler from the local Habitat for Humanity store and can't be happier.

Reply to
badgolferman

I've never ssen a toilet that emptied completely. It just isn't a requirement of the design. Newer toilets often empty only part way by design, unless you hold the handle down for a bigger flush. I think they use an additional float, and a heavier flapper to get that operation.

Reply to
Bob F

ment of

The flapper has to open high enough to fill the cavity inside the flapper with air, that holds it up longer.

Reply to
hrhofmann

The flapper has to open high enough to fill the cavity inside the flapper with air, that holds it up longer.

&******************************************************8

I believe it starts with the air already there. Holding it up higher will just fill it with water. (Which, I suppose, could cause the OP's problem)

Reply to
Bob F

Reply to
Michael B

It is not suppose to empty the tank. It is designed to provide enough water to flush properly under normal conditions. For heavy duty flush when needed, hold the handle down. It is designed that way to save water when it is not needed.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

I checked the chain and there is no extra slack. I watched the problem toilet and another toilet that is working fine. The problem toilet's flap doesn't float at all, it seals off immediately. I looks as though the flap is the culprit. Thanks for all the advise.

Reply to
Mark Savoy