Toilet tank cleaner tablets

I was looking at the directions on my "The Works' toilet bowl cleaner tablet that is to be put in the tank. Lots of precautions. It makes these seem like very dangerous to handle and use. I checked other brands and see the same litany of precautions. Squirting bowl cleaner and scrubbing my hard well water with resulting tank rust is no fun either. Any alternative?

TIA

Reply to
KenK

Replace the toilet once a month. :-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Borax

Reply to
SeaNymph

The ones I have seen look like they are basically the same stuff as a swimming pool puck. It is a nasty combination of chlorine and some stabilizers. I really hate handling them without rubber gloves and you certainly do not want to touch one with wet hands.

Reply to
gfretwell

They are not the same. Swimming pool pucks are very strong.

Reply to
yrag.neslo

You'll be soooorrrrrrrry if you use those tablets that go in the tank. I am speaking from experience, too. Just bite the bullet and learn to love your toilet brush and the cleaner (not tank tablet) of your choice.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

How about telling us why we'll be sorry if we use the tablets????

Reply to
hrhofmann

Personal experience:

I noticed the toilet tank would go into "refill" mode every 15 minutes or so for about a half minute.

(It took a while to realize that was happening...)

I replaced the flapper, checked the seat, even swapped the whole filler assembly with the one from a similar toilet.

Net result: it still leaked.

- I confirmedusing food dye that the tank was slowly dripping into the bowl. Final analysis: the large plastic "washer" t or coupling or whatever it should be called that sits between the bottom of the tank and the connector to the bowl had been eaten away by the chemicals in the tablet.

Fortunately the water was dripping into the bowl and not onto the floor.

You'd think the toilet folk would spend another fifteen cents and install fittings that don't disintegrate like this.

Note 1: it sure as hell wasn't obvious that this was ocurring, and I checked out (and dismantled../reinstalled..) lots of pieces firest

Note 2: there are similar tablets which use a hanger and sit in the _bowl_. These "work" almost as well as the ones that would go in the tank, and without the associated risks. Hmm, than again, it might attack the sealant next to the floor...

Reply to
danny burstein

Harder to swallow that aspirin?

I used to use them but the new toilets said not to because they may damage the parts in the tank.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My aunt Myrtle will stand on your front porch and sing four verses of Amazing Grace, and she sings off key.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My toilet has not said much about tablets. However, one time it did cry out in pain and whimper "hey, get back on your diet, lardbottom."

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Blame our society who insists on risk free living along with the right to do stupid things and the lawyers who support them. Most those toilet tabs are just dry chlorine or a similar acid and perfectly safe to use as long as you don't touch the contents with bare hands or add additional reactive cleaners.

Reply to
Arthur Conan Doyle

Snipped from Danny's reply but surprised you wouldn't already know this.

"Final analysis: the large plastic "washer" t or coupling or whatever it should be called that sits between the bottom of the tank and the connector to the bowl had been eaten away by the chemicals in the tablet."

And yes, I learned the hard way like others here have found out.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

danny burstein wrote in news:mmvjmc$ns8$ snipped-for-privacy@reader1.panix.com:

I'm convinced. Not worth the chance of damage to ny system too. Thanks for the gory details.

Reply to
KenK